Nurse - LPN (2020-2021 SY)
POSITION PURPOSE: Provides health care services to students. Under limited supervision, administers medical assistance and first aid to students according to school health program procedures prescribed by the District. Performs routine counseling services; refers students and their parents to community agencies and professionals as appropriate.
- Plans school health program in cooperation with medical authority and administrative school personnel.
- Participates in medical examinations and reviews findings to evaluate health status of pupils and progress of program.
- Establishes nursing policies to meet emergencies.
- Cooperates with school personnel in identifying and meeting social, emotional, and physical needs of students.
- Administers medications, provides first aid, and maintains health records of students.
- Counsels student in good health habits.
- Works with community agencies in planning facilities to meet needs of children outside of the school environment.
- Assists in program for care of disabled children.
- Monitors students for health problems, including lice infestation, elevated blood sugar levels, etc., and unmet health needs.
- Assists in identifying and reporting child abuse/sexual abuse/neglect.
- Ensures compliance with OSHA regulations concerning blood borne pathogens protocol.
- May serve as site coordinator for staff wellness programs; provides emergency care and first aid to staff as needed.
- Orders and maintains inventory of health room supplies and equipment.
- Compiles data and prepares various reports and records required by the school, district, and/or other agencies.
- Reviews Medicaid forms for eligibility; generates monthly Medicaid bill reports.
- Keeps informed of developments and innovations in the profession; attends training, conferences, workshops, seminars, etc., to enhance job knowledge and skills.
ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal, Superintendent or other district office administrator as designated by the Superintendent.
- Associates degree (AA) or Bachelors degree (BSN).
- Minimum of two years nursing experience.
- SC Registered LPN.
- Must possess Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation (CPR) certificate.
- Must have at least two years of work experience.
- Must have knowledge in the use of a variety of medical instruments and equipment, such as a blood pressure cuff, stethoscope, otoscope, thermometer, nebulizer, audiometer, glucometer, etc.
- Should have knowledge of basic computer operations and functions, use of Microsoft Office applications and the Internet, and skill in the use of general office equipment such as printer, calculator, typewriter, copier, fax, etc.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
- Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
- Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
- Speak and hear.
- Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
- Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
- Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 190
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Classified Salary Scale - LEVEL 112
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Classified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing a "Classified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________
THE BEAUFORT COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER