Guidance Counselor (2020-2021 SY)
Job | Posted a month ago
POSITION PURPOSE: To help student overcome problems that impede learning and to assist them in making education, occupational, and life plans that hold promise for their personal fulfillment as mature and responsible men and women.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:ADDITIONAL DUTIES: Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal, Superintendent or other district office administrator as designated by the Superintendent.
Aids students in course and subject selection.
Obtains and disseminates occupational information to student and to classes studying occupations.
Assists students in evaluating their aptitudes and abilities through the interpretation of individual standardized test scores and other pertinent data, and works with students in evolving education and occupation plans in terms of such evaluation.
Works to discover and develop special abilities of students.
Works to resolve students’ education handicaps.
Registers students new to the school and orients them to school procedures and the school’s varied opportunities for learning.
Helps students evaluate career interests and choices.
Remains readily available to students so as to provide counseling that will lead each student to increased personal growth and self-understanding.
Works with students on an individual basis in the solution of personal problems related to such problems as home and family relations, health, and emotional adjustment.
- Guides students in their participation in school and community activities.
Maintains student records and protects their confidentiality.
Supervises the preparation and processing of college, scholarship, and employment applications.
Makes recommendations to colleges for admissions and scholarships.
Provides student information to colleges and potential employers according to provisions of the Board’s policy on student records.
- Must have a valid South Carolina teaching or be able to obtain one within 60 days from being hired.
- Must have completed a program of study in education from an accredited college or university.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: 205
SALARY CLASSIFICATION: Paid on the Certified Personnel Salary Schedule
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Certified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing an "Certified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________
THE BEAUFORT COUNTY SCHOOL DISTRICT IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
Beaufort County School District
3050 River Ridge Drive, Beaufort, SC 29910
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,316
% ELL Students
State Average: 6%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.20
% IEP Students
State Average: 13%
State Average: 766