DHPH Baseball Assistant Coach
Job | Posted a month ago
|POSITION:||Athletic Assistant Coach|
|RESPONSIBLE TO:||Head Coach|
|Abides by and supports the vision, mission, values, policies and procedures of Chavez/Huerta Preparatory Academy (CHPA). The Assistant Coach carries out the aims and objectives of the sport program as outlined by the head coach. To instruct athletes in individual and team fundamentals, strategy and physical training necessary for them to realize a degree of individual and team success. At the same time, the coach must instruct and demonstrate behaviors that lead to socially acceptable character development, self discipline, self confidence, and pride of accomplishment in the student athletes.|
|JOB DUTIES / KNOWLEDGE PERFORMANCE|
|DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Has a thorough knowledge of all the athletic policies approved by the CHPA Board of Directors and is responsible for their implementation.
2. Has knowledge of the existing CHPA, state and league regulations; implements same consistently.
3. Maintains discipline and works to increase morale and cooperation within the school sports program.
4. Assists the head coach in scheduling, providing transportation to tournaments and special sport events.
5. Assists in the necessary preparation to hold scheduled sport events or practices and adheres to scheduled facility times. Coordinates program with maintenance and school employees.
6. Provides documentation to the athletic director to fulfill state and CHPA requirements concerning physical examinations, parental consent and eligibility.
8. Provides proper safeguards for maintenance and protection of assigned equipment sites.
9. Serves as a mentor to each athlete to promote the development and demonstration in student athletes the character traits of trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship.
10. Gives constant attention to a student athlete’s grades and conduct.
11. By his/her presence at all practices games and while traveling, provides assistance, guidance and safeguards for each participant.
12. Provides training rules and any other unique regulations of the sport to each athlete who is considered a participant.
13. Initiates programs and policies concerning injuries, medical attention and emergencies.
14. Completes paperwork on all disabling athletic injuries on proper forms and submits to athletic office within 24 hours.
15. Directs student managers, assistants and statisticians.
16. Determines discipline, delineates procedures concerning due process when the enforcement of discipline is necessary and contracts parents when a student is dropped or becomes ineligible.
17. Assists athletes in their college or advanced educational selection.
EQUIPMENT AND FACILITIES:
18. Is accountable to the head coach for all equipment. Collects the cost of any equipment lost or not returned. Arranges for issuing and storing of equipment and submits to the head coach an annual inventory and current records concerning same.
19. Recommends to the head coach budgetary items for next year in his area of the program.
20. Monitors equipment rooms and coaches’ offices and authorizes who may enter.
21. Permits the athletes to only be in authorized areas of the building at the appropriate times.
22. Examines locker rooms before and after practices and games, checking on general cleanliness of the facility. Responsible for cleanliness and maintenance of specific sport equipment.
23. Secures all doors, lights, windows and locks before leaving building if custodians are not on duty.
24. Instills in each player a respect for equipment and school property, its care and proper use.
|JOB DUTIES / KNOWLEDGE PERFORMANCE, continued|
25. Assists the head coach in carrying out his responsibilities.
26. Instructs team members as to changes in the rules and teaches fundamentals of the sport as outlined by the head coach.
27. Maintains a record of team statistics and requirements for lettering. (for both head coach and athletic director.)
28. Works within the basic framework and philosophy of the head coach of that sport.
29. Arrives early enough before practice, contests and meetings to adequately prepare and remains long enough afterwards to help players with problems or to become involved in staff discussions.
30. Helps in the planning and implementation of both in-season and out-of-season conditioning and weight programs.
31. Never criticizes, admonishes or argues with head coach or any staff member within ears or eyes of players or parents.
32. Strives to improve skills by attending clinics and using resources made available by the head coach.
The above statements are intended to be a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities performed by incumbents of this job. The incumbent may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description. In addition, the incumbent may be requested to occasionally perform other tasks.