2020-2021 Paraprofessional 50013102
Posted 2 months ago
Reports To: Building Administrator
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Work Days: 181
FTE: 7 hours per day
Provides support to the instructional program within an assigned classroom with specific responsibility for working with individual and/or small groups of students; and providing clerical support to teacher/s and staff.
- Adapts classroom activities, assignments and/or materials (e.g. art projects, computer, language skills, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom goals and objectives.
- Administers classroom assignments for the purpose of supporting teachers in the instructional process.
- Assists students, individually or in small groups, with lesson assignments (e.g. read stories, providing writing assistance, reinforce language skills, numbers, alphabet, computer learning programs, etc.) for the purpose of practicing and/or reinforcing learning concepts and assisting students in reaching academic goals and grade level standards.
- Communicates with teachers for the purpose of assisting in evaluating progress and/or implementing classroom objectives.
- Maintains classroom equipment, work area, and manual and electronic files and records (e.g. clean/bleach tables, sign-in/sign-out logs, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring availability of items; providing written reference; providing a safe learning environment; and/or meeting mandated requirements.
- Monitors individual and/or groups of students in a variety of settings (e.g. classroom, playground, field trips, etc.) for the purpose of providing a safe and positive learning environment.
- Performs general clerical tasks (e.g. laminating, making posters, making copies, bulletin boards, filing, newsletters, etc.) for the purpose of helping the teacher get instructional materials ready.
- Reports observations and incidents relating to specific students (e.g. accidents, fights, appropriate and/or inappropriate social behavior, violations of rules, safety conditions, etc.) for the purpose of communicating information to appropriate instructional and/or administrative personnel.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To ensure continuity of services, remote work may be necessary in the event of a health crisis or disruptive situation that requires the closing of school and/or office buildings. An employee’s eligibility for remote work will be determined by the superintendent of schools. Expectations and guidelines for remote work will be distributed by the employee’s supervisor, based on his/her role and responsibilities.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- High School Diploma or GED required and one of the following:
- Completed at least 48 credit hours of college study; Passed the OGET test; Pass the Education Testing Service Parapro Assessment Test (passing score is 455) or the Workkeys Assessment (Passing score is 4 or better on all three parts).
- Operates standard office equipment including using pertinent software applications.
- Prepares and maintains accurate records.
- Performs basic math; read a variety of manuals, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and understand complex, multi-step written and oral instructions.
- Specific knowledge-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include:
- concepts of grammar and punctuation; stages of child development and learning styles; and age appropriate activities.
- Ability to schedule activities; collate data; and use basic, job-related equipment.
- Ability to work with a wide diversity of individuals; work with a variety of data; and utilize job-related equipment.
- Problem solving is required to identify issues and create action plans.
- Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: flexibility; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; setting priorities; working as part of a team; and working with constant interruptions.
- Must have adequate manual dexterity to write legibly and perform required duties on the computer
- Must have adequate visual acuity to read, interpret and transcribe written material and other required duties
- Requires normal range of hearing and clear speaking abilities to interact appropriately with others in person and on the telephone
- Requires some stooping, bending, stretching and occasional lifting not to exceed 25 pounds
- Sitting for prolonged periods of time
- May periodically require work outside of normal business hours, including weekends, under sometimes stressful conditions in order to meet business needs and strict deadlines
- Office duties will be performed in a well-lighted, climate controlled environment
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the supervisor or appropriate administrator. Oklahoma City Public Schools reserves the right to, update, revise or change job duties as the need prevails. This document is for communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment. The Board of Education and Superintendent may approve alternatives to the listed qualifications.