AV Equipment Repair Specialist
Bargaining Unit: Maintenance
Work Year: 12 months
Work Day: 8 hours per day
FTE: Full time, 1.0 FTE
Salary: M-8, $25.53 to $29.34 per hour, DOE
The AV Equipment Repair Specialist is a hardware repair technician for Windows and Macintosh computers and audio-visual equipment throughout the Anchorage School District. The position has a retirement association with the Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS).
The following are required:
- A high school diploma or equivalent.
- A minimum of two years of experience within the past six years in the field of repairing computers, printers, and audio-visual equipment is required. Work experience must evidence ability to perform tasks assigned. Professional certification or training may be considered in lieu of work experience.
- A valid Alaska driver’s license.
- The ability to routinely lift up to 50 pounds, with or without accommodations, or to lift over 50 pounds with assistance.
- The Anchorage School District requires that the selected applicant for this position be given a conditional offer of employment contingent upon successfully passing a post offer/pre-employment physical capacities assessment before beginning work in the position. The physical capacities assessment requirements for this position are on our employment website.
The following are preferred:
- A+, Apple, Dell, and Lexmark certifications.
- Knowledge of troubleshooting theory and its practical application in resolving hardware issues.
- Knowledge of repair methods, ESD, safety, and repair shop best practices.
- Ability to understand and interpret service manuals and electronics diagrams.
- Ability to proficiently use both Windows and Macintosh computer applications.
Essential Job Functions
- Works cooperatively with others within established shop guidelines.
- Performs hardware and software repairs of computers, printers, and peripheral items.
- Performs hardware repairs or setup on approved district technology as needed.
- Performs repairs of various equipment such as overhead projectors, laminators, printers, and other electronic audio-visual equipment.
- Enters repair related data into computer databases.
- Performs preventative maintenance at schools during the summer months.
- Follows established safety procedures.
- Works cooperatively with others within established maintenance and safety procedures.
- Demonstrates excellent customer service and critical thinking skills necessary for troubleshooting.
- Establishes and maintains effective working relationships with others.
Physical /Mental Demands
The physical demands of this job require frequent standing, walking, sitting, speaking and hearing. Specific visual abilities are also required. The employee is regularly required to reach with his/her hands and arms and occasionally lift items weighing less than 40 lbs. Additionally, the employee must be able to understand vague and implicit instructions, be able to readily recall facts and details, handle conflict and make effective decisions under pressure. The employee must have the ability to effectively manage the stress of working with students, parents, and other employees representing diverse cultures, personalities, and work styles in a dynamic work environment.
The Anchorage School District is committed to providing reasonable accommodations, according to applicable state and federal laws, to all individuals with a qualified physical or mental disability.
Work is performed in a professional environment with a wide variety of individuals having differing functions, personalities and abilities, including working with diverse groups of people in a variety of different settings.
While performing the duties of this job the employee may be regularly exposed to a video display. The employee may be exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Additional Job Information
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instructions and to perform any other job related duties as requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments.
Anchorage School District (ASD) employees must possess the ability to read and write in English. This also includes the ability to communicate in English with school staff, co-workers, and the public; as well as have the ability to comprehend and carry out oral and written directions and understand and follow English instructions and written documents.
Offers of employment are contingent upon completion of a satisfactory criminal background check. For certificated positions, this is in addition to the background check conducted through the certification process with the Alaska State Department of Education and Early Development (DEED).
This position may be required to work in ASD facilities on the military installations (JBER). Please visit the government REAL ID website for additional information.
The Anchorage School District is an equal employment opportunity employer.