School Secretary (Edison Main Office/Principal Secretary)
School Secretary at Edison Jr-Sr High School Main Office/Principal's Office
Lake Station Community Schools
Thomas A. Edison Jr. Sr. High School | 3304 Parkside Avenue | Lake Station IN 46405
Lake Station Community Schools is recruiting for a School Secretary for the Edison Jr. Sr. High School main office / Principal.
SUMMARY: Perform secretarial and administrative support duties at Edison Jr. Sr. High School. Schedule appointments, inform callers, relieve administrators of clerical work and perform administrative and business functions.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Carry out responsibilities in accordance with the direction of the principal, school policies and applicable laws.
REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Always give a positive impression and provide a good customer service attitude to parents, students, staff and the public.
A. EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE: The minimum qualifications for all secretarial and administrative support employees (clerical, secretarial and bookkeepers) shall be at least a high school diploma with strong keyboarding and computer related skills, and the ability to perform the most difficult and responsible office work.
B. LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read and interpret documents such as emails, memorandums, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of students, parents and school staff.
C. REASONING ABILITY: Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
D. OTHER SKILLS AND ABILITIES: Ability to keyboard accurately at a minimum of 70 words per minute. Ability to multi-task with precision.
E. TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Hourly wage is based on School Board approved wage schedule and benefits of the position commensurate with successful experience, knowledge, skills, ability preparation. Length of work year (days worked) will be determined by the Superintendent annually.
F. High School main office/Principal’s Secretary duties, and functions include the following in addition to other duties may be assigned.
Perform all secretarial and administrative support functions for the Edison Jr. Sr. High School Main Office as follows:
- Ability to work effectively with students, parents, teachers, staff and administration.
- Have good written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to perform duties of school ECA treasurer/bookkeeper during breaks or when absent.
- Distribute and keep records for all school keys/key-cards
- Type and distribute daily announcements and/or bulletins.
- Handle incoming/outgoing telephone calls to the main office and Edison Jr. Sr. High School.
- Monitor incoming and outgoing people/students via the security cameras and monitors.
- Compile monthly supply requisitions for staff and maintenance supply inventories
- Write admits and handle sign-in and sign-out during attendance secretary breaks or when absent.
- Run, ensure the proper operation, maintenance, supply and reporting for office equipment and systems including but not limited to copy machine, laminator, poster machine.
- Monitor and respond to P.A. and intercom systems.
- Receive and greet visitors, students, and teachers in the main office area.
- Handle, sort, route, and distribute all inter-school and US Mail.
- Keep attendance records for all Jr. Sr. High School personnel including personal business day forms.
- Maintain, develop and update all forms as needed.
- Update and maintain sub folders.
- Collect and distribute staff timesheets.
- Monitor and communicate on two-way radio system.
- Send out messages using the out-call notification system.
- Input data and information in the student management system.
- Print ID cards for students and staff.
- Assist with discipline referral and detention documentation.
- Possess a valid/current Indiana Substitute Teacher's Permit.
- Perform any other duties assigned.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee works in a fast-paced environment requiring focus, attention and decision making. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. The employee shall remain free of any alcohol or non-prescribed controlled substance abuse in the workplace throughout his/her employment in the school corporation. The information contained in this job description is for compliance with the American with Disabilities Act (A.D.A.) and is not an exhaustive list of the duties performed for this position. The individuals currently holding this position perform additional duties and additional duties may be assigned.