On-Call Bus Monitors, Temporary
This position will be a fill-in Bus Monitor as needed for the district.
The Bus Monitor will assist the bus driver to ensure a safe ride for students to and from school. The position also will provide attentive supervision inside the bus, so that the driver can focus on traffic safety, as well as the safe loading and offloading of passengers.
In addition to the safety while the bus is in operation, the Bus Monitor will be responsible to maintain proper records and documentation, which include:
- collecting appropriate paperwork (e.g., the health screener) from students upon arrival at the bus
- submitting appropriate paperwork (e.g., the health screener and behavior referrals) to the school staff member who greets the bus
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist the bus driver in maintaining discipline on school bus; monitor and assist with student conduct while bus is in operation.
- Assist driver in assuring seat belts, harnesses and wheelchair clamps are secured as required.
- Assist parents and school personnel with ensuring proper seating assignments of pre-kindergarten and/or all students as required by State Transportation Guidelines.
- Maintain current knowledge of Emergency Evacuation procedures.
- Assist children on and off the bus and assure responsible adult meets students leaving the bus.
- Attend in-service meetings and training courses as assigned.
- Maintain timely and regular excellent attendance and punctuality.
- Notify the bus company well in advance (at least 4 hours) of any absences
- Perform other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of safe practices concerning school bus transportation.
- Ability to assist student loading, unloading and seating arrangements as required.
- Understand and relate to children with special needs.
- Establish and maintain cooperative and effective working relationships with others.
- Communicate effectively both orally and in writing
- Observe health and safety regulations.
- Must ensure that students are wearing an appropriate face covering/mask while boarding the bus
- Bilingual in Spanish is preferred
- Work is performed while standing, sitting and/or walking.
- Requires the ability to communicate effectively using speech, vision and hearing.
- Requires the use of hands for simple grasping and fine manipulations.
- Requires bending, squatting, crawling, climbing, reaching.
- Requires the ability to lift, carry, push or pull medium weights, up to 25 pounds
- Requires activities involving being around changes in temperature and humidity, and exposure to dust and fumes.
- Must be willing and able to wear a face mask.
Morning shift is 6:45 AM-9:30
Afternoon shift is 1:30-4:45
NORWALK IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It is the policy of the Norwalk Board of Education to ensure equal educational opportunity for all students and to prohibit unlawful discrimination because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, or physical and mental disability in the school district's educational program and activities; and to prohibit unlawful discrimination in employment because of race, color, religion, creed, age, marital status, national origin, gender; gender identity or expression, sexual orientation or physical and mental disability.