Special Education Teacher
Special Education Teacher - St. Croix Preparatory Academy
General Purpose: To work in partnership with parents, students, and regular education teachers in accordance with SCPA’s mission and vision in order to promote student achievement. The following responsibilities and duties are the means to achieve that end while maintaining compliance with Federal and State Regulations.
Reports To: Division Principal and Special Education Director
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create Individual Education Plans (IEP) that are compliant with state and federal regulations.
- Complete evaluations and IEP’s within the time lines specified by the state of MN.
- Set-up and attend child study meetings to discuss students of concern and assist in identifying the next step, pre-referral interventions.
- Assist teachers with identifying students needing an educational assessment.
- Develop student special education plans for evaluations and re-evaluations in a timely manner.
- After the evaluation, if appropriate, with the team put together the IEP.
- When necessary schedule additional IEP meetings when lack of sufficient progress has occurred or when a student has achieved his/her goals ahead of the annual IEP meeting.
- Determine the criteria and develop a plan for when a student is able to successfully exit the special education program.
- Determine the optimum schedule for working with students either in the classroom or out.
- Design instruction, both individual and small group to address the goals and objectives of each student’s IEP.
- Work with the student(s) to obtain the curriculum standards necessary for the student to meet the necessary requirements.
- Design individualized instruction to address goals and objectives while providing the child access to the general education curriculum and MN state standards.
- Assist teachers in making curriculum modifications and adaptations as requested, or develop an alternative plan/IEP.
- Communicate regularly with general education staff regarding shared students.
- Communicate and co-ordinate with others on the special education team to bring about the optimum learning for the student.
- Ensure testing coordinator(s) are aware of which students need special accommodations and what those are. Assist in the implementation of state accommodations.
- Explore technology resources and implement those addressing student need(s).
- Address parent inquiries about the special education process and act as a resource in parental understanding of the program and how student needs are met.
- Work with the team to put together the appropriate plan to best meet the needs of the student.
- Make IEP’s available to the appropriate teachers.
- Inform parents and staff of student progress in special education.
- Provide staff development to the staff.
- File the necessary paperwork in compliance with the state and federal guidelines, as well as the necessary information necessary for billing, following due process.
- Write progress reports for special education students on a quarterly basis.
- Co-ordinate the services of occupational therapy, speech, school psychologist and any other special needs consultants as needed.
- Communicate with special education administrative assistant and over see Special Education EA’s.
- Remain up-dated on special education issues and best practices for working with special needs students through conferences, workshops, classes, reading of journals and other literature specific to special education.
- Schedule and co-facilitate the Special Education Advisory Council meeting(s).
- Communicate for the school with the special education director regarding issues where the school needs support.
- Perform other related duties as may be assigned.
- MN licensure in Special Education - Autism preferred.
- Prior Special Education teaching experience in a School District or Charter School is preferred.
- Proficient in high school math content preferred.
- Command of grades/subject specific content and theoretical knowledge of learning theory, including motivation, reinforcement, evaluation and feedback techniques.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient in using email, managing files, and using Microsoft Office.
- Able to be flexible given the demands of the day and the job.