2020-2021 MS Special Education-ID/ED/LD PCN 50006843
Secondary Teacher – MS Special Education-ID/ED/LD
Create a flexible secondary program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establishing effective rapport with pupils; motivating pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education, in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and establishing good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
- Teaches any combination of reading, language arts, social studies, mathematics, science, art, health, physical education, and music to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Oklahoma State Department of Education and Oklahoma City’s Board of Education and any other appropriate learning activities.
- Instruct pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil with the identified objectives. Presents the content required in Oklahoma's Priority Academic Student Skills.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Utilizes grading patterns that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom. Treat pupils with respect and dignity.
- Evaluates pupils’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
- Interacts with pupils, staff and parents in a positive and professional manner.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Establish rapport with pupils and provides a pleasant, safe, and orderly climate conducive to learning.
- Actively participate in full implementation of the OKCPS model for School Improvement.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and self-selected professional growth activities.
- Supervise and monitor students during out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day which may include but not limited to (cafeteria duty, field trips, playground duty, hallway monitor, etc.)
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- To ensure continuity of services, remote work may be necessary in the event of a health crisis or disruptive situation that requires the closing of school and/or office buildings. An employee’s eligibility for remote work will be determined by the superintendent of schools. Expectations and guidelines for remote work will be distributed by the employee’s supervisor, based on his/her role and responsibilities.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- Bachelor’s in education or a related field required.
- Oklahoma Teaching Certification in Secondary Education in subjects listed below or subjects or Alternative Teaching Certification as approved by Oklahoma State Department of Education required.
- AUTISM REQUIREMENTS: Certification in any area and completion of 32 clock hours of Special Education Services approved autism registry training (9801 Autism); Mild-Moderate Disabilities; Severe/Profound/Multiple Disabilities.
- DEAF-BLINDNESS REQUIREMENTS: Hearing Impaired; Deaf/Hard of Hearing; Visually Handicapped; Blind/Visual Impairment; and 9802 Deaf-Blindness.
- ID REQUIREMENTS: Mentally Handicapped; Mild-Moderate Disabilities; Severe-Profound/Multiple Disabilities.
- ED REQUIREMENTS: Emotionally Disturbed; Mild-Moderate Disabilities; Severe-Profound/Multiple Disabilities.
- LD REQUIREMENTS: Learning Disabilities; Mild-Moderate Disabilities; Severe-Profound/Multiple Disabilities.
- Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others, demonstrate self-discipline and initiative, follow state and district guidelines.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time,
- Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer,
- Ability to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids,
- Hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Physical agility, able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach
- Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 pounds