September 8, 2020
Waterbury Public Schools
Job Assignment Title
High School Head Coach
See appropriate Category
Head Football Coach - Fall
September 28, 2020
This job assignment receives administrative direction from the Director of Sports, Principal or other administrator as assigned.
Summary of Assignment
This job assignment is accountable for instructing student athletes in a specific sports activity and providing leadership in helping each participating student achieve a high level of skill, and appreciation for the values of discipline and sportsmanship and an increased level of self-esteem.
Minimum Education and Experience
- Certificate of Completion for Module 15 or 51 from the Connecticut Coaching Education Program.
- Connecticut State Department of Education Coach permit or Temporary Coach permit.
- Current CPR and First Aid Certificates.
- High School diploma or GED.
- Life Guard Certification-Swimming Only.
- Successful completion of pre-employment process.
- Incumbents in this class may be required to possess and retain a current Motor Vehicle operator’s license.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Considerable knowledge of the specific assigned sport;
- Knowledge of care and treatment of athletic injuries;
- Knowledge of coaching techniques and human behavior;
- Knowledge of the federal, State and Board policies and regulations regarding student conduct and appropriate disciplinary action;
- Basic skills in equipment repair and maintenance as applicable;
- Coaching skills;
- Effective, active listening skills;
- Organizational and problem-solving skills;
- Public speaking skills;
- Ability to communicate ideas and directives clearly and effectively both orally and in writing;
- Ability to diffuse potentially volatile situations;
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport with students;
- Ability to physically perform essential functions;
- Ability to work assigned hours;
- Ability to work effectively with others;
- Leadership ability;
- Ability to work with individuals from diverse backgrounds.
The following identifies the primary and essential functions of the assignment and is not intended to be an exhaustive listing of all duties.
- Assists players in the care and prevention of injuries;
- Assists the Director of Sports, when necessary, in scheduling contests and transportation as applicable;
- Assumes primary responsibility for field or court preparation;
- Attends all sessions, contests and city league meetings;
- Attends clinics, camps, and seminars as required;
- Attends coaches and rules interpretation meetings;
- Coaches individual participants in the skills necessary for successful performance in the assigned sport;
- Collects all uniforms and equipment at the end of the season;
- Collects and maintains permission slips and medical awareness forms from athletes;
- Communicates with classroom teachers to encourage individual success of each player;
- Complies with Board policies and District procedures in the development and maintenance of the interscholastic athletics program;
- Conducts oneself with tact and diplomacy;
- Enforces discipline and sportsmanlike behavior at all times and imposes penalties for breach of such standards by individual students;
- Enforces eligibility requirements;
- Ensures appropriate attire at practices and events;
- Ensures practice and repetition of fundamentals;
- Ensures proper care of equipment;
- Ensures proper organization of practices and drills;
- Ensures safety of students;
- Ensures that all tasks are completed in a timely manner;
- Evaluates assistant coaches and assigned program and submits written reports to the Director at the conclusion of their season;
- Evaluates players;
- Follows all applicable State laws and CIAC regulations as outlined in the CIAC Handbook;
- Follows District procedures in establishing performance criteria for eligibility in interscholastic competition in assigned sport;
- In consultation with Director of Sports, trains, and evaluates all assistant coaches;
- Instructs and supervises team managers in game and practice preparation;
- Interacts in a positive manner with staff, students, and parents;
- Is encouraged to tape and review game films;
- Maintains and completes necessary attendance forms, accident reports and similar paperwork;
- Maintains and tracks repairs of all equipment;
- Maintains respect at all times for confidential information, e.g., student athlete grades for eligibility purposes, etc.;
- Maintains satisfactory attendance;
- Manages behavior of student athletes during all athletic practices, competitions, and events;
- Oversees the condition of the locker room;
- Oversees the safety conditions of the facility or area in which assigned sport is conducted at all times that students are present;
- Participates in awards program and distributes awards to players;
- Plans and schedules practices in accordance with District policy and regulations (including holiday or vacation periods);
- Prepares written rules and regulations in consultation with the Director and/or principal, for distribution to all team members prior to the start of the season;
- Promotes good public relations by personal appearance, attitude, and conversation;
- Provides a positive learning environment for the athletes;
- Provides Director with end of year inventory and award information as requested;
- Provides Director with team rosters as requested;
- Provides for the orderly distribution and collection of all athletic equipment;
- Provides information and reports to Director in a timely manner;
- Recommends purchase of equipment, supplies and uniforms as appropriate;
- Reports all injuries to the Director and school nurse;
- Reports the loss of equipment to the school principal and Director;
- Responds to routine questions and requests in an appropriate manner;
- Schedules fundraising activities as approved by the Principal;
- Serves as a role model for students;
- Submits physical forms and other necessary paperwork to the school nurse prior to engaging in the sport;
- Takes necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities;
- Works closely with the Director in scheduling interscholastic contests.
Physical and Mental Requirements
Individuals appointed to these assignments must have adequate physical strength, stamina, physical agility and visual and auditory acuity and must maintain such physical fitness as to be able to perform the duties of the assignment.
Vacancy will be filled by qualified active Teacher in the WTA bargaining unit working at the building where the vacancy exist in accordance to Article 10(2) and 10(6)(a). If there is no qualified active teacher applying as noted above, then the vacancy shall be filled by qualified active teachers who work within the school district.
Waterbury Public School District is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer M/F/H/V
Candidates from diverse racial, ethnic and cultural backgrounds are encouraged to apply