2020-2021 HS Science Teacher 50008908
Posted 2 months ago
Reports To: Building Administrator
FSLA Status: Exempt
Compensation: 001 (Step determined by education and experience.)
Work Days: 181
Secondary HS Teacher - Science
Create a flexible program and a class environment favorable to learning and personal growth; establishing effective rapport with pupils; motivating pupils to develop skills, attitudes and knowledge needed to provide a good foundation for education, in accordance with each pupil’s ability; and establishing good relationships with parents and with other staff members.
- Teaches science (Earth Science; General Science; General Science Concepts; General Science Essentials; Life Science; Physical Science) to pupils in a classroom, using the course of study adopted by the Oklahoma State Department of Education and Oklahoma City’s Board of Education and any other appropriate learning activities.
- Instruct pupils in citizenship and basic subject matter specified in state law and administrative regulations and procedures of the school district.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and provides individualized and small group instruction in order to adapt the curriculum to the needs of each pupil with the identified objectives.
- Translates lesson plans into learning experiences so as to best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Utilizes grading patterns that are fairly administered and based on identified criteria.
- Establishes and maintains standards of pupil behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom. Treat pupils with respect and dignity.
- Evaluates pupils’ academic and social growth, keeps appropriate records, and prepares progress reports.
- Communicates with parents through conferences and other means to discuss pupil’s progress and interpret the school program.
- Interacts with pupils, staff and parents in a positive and professional manner.
- Identifies pupil needs and cooperates with other professional staff members in assessing and helping pupils solve health, attitude, and learning problems.
- Establish rapport with pupils and provides a pleasant, safe, and orderly climate conducive to learning.
- Actively participate in full implementation of the OKCPS model for School Improvement.
- Maintains professional competence through in-service education activities provided by the district and selfselected professional growth activities.
- Supervises pupils in out-of-classroom activities during the assigned working day.
- To ensure continuity of services, remote work may be necessary in the event of a health crisis or disruptive situation that requires the closing of school and/or office buildings. An employee’s eligibility for remote work will be determined by the superintendent of schools. Expectations and guidelines for remote work will be distributed by the employee’s supervisor, based on his/her role and responsibilities.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- Bachelor’s in education or a related field.
- Oklahoma Teaching Certification in Secondary Education in subjects listed below or subjects or Alternative Teaching Certification as approved by Oklahoma State Department of Education.
- AERONAUTICS- 8001 Aeronautics or a private pilot license or a basic ground instruction certificate issued by the F.A.A. or 6013 Physical Science or 6015 Physics
- ANATOMY/PHYSIOLOGY- 6001 Anatomy/Physiology or 6050 Biological Sciences + Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o ASTRONOMY- 6009 Earth Science or 6013 Physical Science or 6015 Physics +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o BIOLOGY - 6003 Biology or 6050 Biological Sciences (Biology I classes cannot be taken at a CareerTech for science credit because of end-of instruction test.) + Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements
- BIOLOGY CONCEPTS- Any N-12 or PK-12 Special Education or in collaboration with a teacher who holds 1501 or 1600 Elementary Education + Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements in Elementary Education or Science o BIOLOGY ESSENTIALS- Any N-12 or PK-12 Special Education or in collaboration with a teacher who holds any
- 6-12 or 7-12 science certification +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements in Science o BOTANY- 6005 Botany or 6050 Biological Sciences +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o CHEMISTRY- 6006 Chemistry +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o EARTH SCIENCE- 6009 Earth Science +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o ELECTRONICS- 6015 Physics
- ENVIRONMENTAL SCIENCE- Any 6-12 or 7-12 science certification +Must Meet Highly Qualified
- Requirements o GEOLOGY- Earth Science +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements
- MICROBIOLOGY- Biology, Biological Sciences +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o ECOLOGY- Any Certification
- LIFE SCIENCE- Biology; Biological Sciences +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements
- PHYSICAL SCIENCE- Physical Science, Physics, Chemistry +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o PHYSICS- Physics +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements
- PRINCIPALS OF TECHNOLOGY- Physics +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o ZOOLOGY- Zoology, Biological Sciences +Must Meet Highly Qualified Requirements o Must possess ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing.
- Must possess the ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with students, staff, parents, and the community.
- Ability to work cooperatively and collaboratively with others, demonstrate self-discipline and initiative, follow state and district guidelines.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Able to sit and/or stand for extended periods of time,
- Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer,
- Ability to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids,
- Hear and understand speech at normal classroom levels, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly in normal classrooms, outdoors and on the telephone,
- Physical agility, able to bend, stoop, sit on the floor, climb stairs, walk and reach. Ability to lift, push, pull up to 50 pounds
This job description is not intended to be all inclusive. The employee will also perform other reasonably related business duties as assigned by the supervisor or appropriate administrator. Oklahoma City Public Schools reserves the right to, update, revise or change job duties as the need prevails. This document is for communication only and not intended to imply a written or implied contract of employment. The Board of Education and Superintendent may approve alternatives to the listed qualifications.