Accounts Payable/ Accounts Receivable Clerk
Accounts Payable/ Accounts Receivable Clerk
Under the direction of the Lead Accountant, the AP/AR Clerk will performs work related to the collection and payment of District accounts.
Essential Functions and Duties of the Position: The essential functions and duties listed blow are intended as illustration of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
- Provides assistance and information to internal and external customers of the department: logs inquiries; conducts research and responds to inquiries; responds to all other inquiries from vendors, departments, and other interested parties
- Processes and monitors accounts payable transactions: receives and verifies invoices against purchase orders and shipping notices; prepares purchase orders; verifies that transactions comply with financial policies, procedures and procurement laws; reviews and verifies travel and reimbursement claims; prepares batches of invoices for data entry; data enters invoices for payment; processes reports after data entry; maintains updated vendor files and file numbers; prints and distributes financial reports
- Converts school requisitions to purchase orders
- Processes and monitors accounts receivable transactions: receives and processes funds for deposit; verifies deposits against cash receipts; reviews transmittal documents for accuracy and completion; verifies that deposits comply with accounts receivable/cash management policies and procedures; makes deposits as assigned; verifies deposits received by Treasurer
- Monitors compliance with policies related to accounts payable, accounts receivable and cash management and submits recommendations to the Accounting Supervisor and/or Director of Financial Operations regarding corrective/remedial action and new/revised policies
- Reconciles accounts payable and receivable to general ledger
- Processes budget and expense adjustments
- Provides assistance to staff members in reviewing and reconciling accounts
- Meets with school personnel to answer questions and process transactions related to Student Activity Accounts
- Maintains manual files and records
- Prepares information for auditors, Lead Accountant and Assistant Superintendent for Finance & Operations
- Prepares files for record retention requirements and storage
Requires Associates Degree in Bookkeeping/Accounting and two years experience in bookkeeping/accounting. Bachelors Degree in Bookkeeping/Accounting can be substituted for bookkeeping/accounting experience.
Skills, Abilities & Knowledge:
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and handle difficult situations with sensitivity and tact
- Experience and knowledge in a customer service environment
- Knowledge of school office environments
- Knowledge and experience with school office technology and equipment
- Skill in written and oral communications
- Ability to organize, prioritize work responsibilities and use time efficiently
- Ability to calmly and professionally interact with students, parents, teachers, co-workers and visitors in a dynamic environment
- Knowledge of basic accounting/bookkeeping principles
- Knowledge of financial software
- Ability to perform basic math computations and analyze numerical data
Must be physically able to operate a variety of automated office machines and equipment, including a computer, basic office equipment, adding machine, telephone, etc. Must be able to exert up to five pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time, but may involve walking or standing for brief periods
Needham Public School
Please apply online: www.generalasp.com/needham/onlineapp
Applications will be considered only when a cover letter, resume, three letters of recommendation, license and transcripts have been attached to your online application.
Candidates are encouraged to review the working conditions, wages and benefits in the collective bargaining agreement.
Posted vacancies in the Needham Public Schools have been approved by the School Committee and are subject to appropriation at Town Meeting.
The Needham Public School System is a member of METCO, Developing Equity and Achievement for Students (IDEAS) and the Greater Boston School Human Resources Network. Candidates who have a strong commitment to active anti-racism are encouraged to apply.
The Needham Public Schools does not discriminate against students, parents, employees or the general public on the basis of race, color, sex, homeless status, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or age. In addition to the protected classes identified and in regard to employment practices, the Needham Public Schools also does not discriminate based on genetic information, ancestry or status as a veteran.