Posted 2 months ago
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
SHAWNEE PUBLIC SCHOOLS
Job Title: Teacher's Assistant
Reports To: Executive Director, Academic Services
Site: Central Office
Education: Associate Degree or 60 hours college credit or pass the Oklahoma General Education Test
Training or Experience Required: Previous work or volunteer experience, clerical experience preferred.
Job Summary: Performs entry level to semi-skilled level duties under general supervision. Follows general standardized operating policies and procedures. On occasion will have to interpret policies and procedures and follow predetermined solutions established by higher level supervision or operating procedures.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Communication Skills (oral, written, or business): Basic communication skills to exchange information, give/receive simple instructions and respond to inquiries. Includes filling out forms.
- Data Recording/Record Keeping: Performs non-complex data recording/record keeping operations requiring logging, filing or posting single entry items either manually or by computer.
- Mathematical Skills: Performs routine computations requiring knowledge of addition, subtraction, multiplication and division using whole numbers, fractions, decimals and/or percentages.
- Reads and interprets routine written or printed materials such as charts, diagrams, maps or instruction material.
- Business Machines (like computers, copiers, etc.): Uses business machines that can be easily learned from non-complex manuals or verbal instructions. Such machines include but are not limited to photocopiers, laminators, duplicator, CRT/computers (no software experience). May on occasion use more difficult machines without any proficiency required, such as data entry.
- Office Filing and Retrieving: Responsible for filing and retrieving from an existing filing system.
- Contact with Others: Has some public contact with members of district. Some interpersonal interaction or communication is required with other staff and parents.
Essential Job Functions (Performance Responsibilities):
- Assists with instruction and activities for individuals or for groups as assigned. On occasion may supervise the class in teacher's absence.
- Prepares, creates, and/or adapts instructional materials as directed. Sets up and operates equipment.
- Completes necessary paperwork and other records.
- May assist with minor first aid.
- Performs housekeeping duties to ensure environment is neat and clean.
- Operates photocopier, laminator, and duplicator. May operate computer. Assists obtaining supplies necessary for scheduled activities. Sends letters as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Other Performance Measures:
- Requires good customer service/people skills to resolve problems and provide information as requested.
- Requires following safety guidelines and policies, inclusive of the District Exposure Control Plan for Bloodborne Pathogens, to reduce accident or injury to self or to students.
- Requires following school dress standards, proper attendance or leave policies, and other work-habits concerns.
- Creativity, initiative and effective problem solving are important to the success of the position.
- Must maintain a positive attitude and be cooperative toward other staff members, the public, and students within the educational system.
Supervision exercised: Employee does not supervise other employees.
Complies with Shawnee's Mission Statement in which students are to be provided with skills, knowledge and attitudes to become lifelong learners, complex thinkers, and responsible citizens in an ever-changing global society.
Physical/Mental Requirements and Working Conditions:
- Requires frequent bending/stooping and occasional to frequent squatting/crouching, reaching above the shoulder, and pushing and pulling.
- Occasional lifting up to 45 pounds to assist the lifting classroom equipment and supplies.
- Must have the dexterity to operate keyboards, computers, copy machines, and other office/instructional machines.
- Must be able to supervise students in the classroom and outside.
- Must be able to communicate with students and parents.
- Must be able to get around the classroom, media center, cafeteria, campus, etc.
- Must be able to assist students with normal activities.
Terms of Employment: Length of the work year and hours of employment shall be those established by the District. (180-day contract)
Evaluation: Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the Shawnee Board Policy on evaluation of personnel.
FLSA Status: Exempt
Revised: March 17, 2020