Instructional Assistant-Student Services (Specialized Schools)
POSITION: Instructional Assistant-Student Services (Specialized Schools) 35 hrs./wk. Grade 4
ASSIGNMENT: 10 Month Temporary & Grant Funded Effective October 9, 2020 - June 1, 2021
GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES: This work involves close interaction with staff, students and parents/guardians, with the primary emphasis on the implementation of specialized or vocational educational programs. An Instructional Assistant works under the direction of a licensed teacher. An employee in this position is expected to exercise independent discernment, discretion, a high degree of confidentiality and react appropriately in crisis situations as well as exhibit initiative, creativity and organizational skills.
- Have or obtain State and NCLB Approved Paraprofessional designation in accordance with Illinois State Board of Education requirements.
- Demonstrate appropriate interpersonal skills.
- Project a positive image of the district to the public, parents, staff and students as well as exhibit a positive employee attitude.
- Move around in the classroom and other parts of the building as well as on field trips as needed.
- Previous experience working with youth.
- Ability to adapt to all subject areas.
- Knowledge of computer operations.
- May need a valid driver's license.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 lbs such as with students needing assistance.
1. Assists students under the direction of licensed staff by:
- implementing classroom procedures and reinforcing student's positive behavior
- administering tests orally to students
- reinforcing organizational and note taking skills
- grading materials for immediate feedback
- demonstrating use of the computer for both drill and remediation as well as homework assignments
- helping the student achieve his/her IEP goals
- assisting, as needed, with students' non-medical physical needs or personal care/toileting needs*
2. Assists licensed staff by:
- helping organize and supervise off-campus programs for students
- performing classroom related clerical tasks
- assisting with lab set-up and clean-up
- explaining classroom procedures and materials to substitute teacher when necessary
- previewing instructional materials
- acting as a liaison to communicate student progress
3. Continues job performance improvement by participating in appropriate professional growth activities.
*Those hired prior to 10/1/2010 with the job title Instructional Assistant Special Education/Vaguard/Alternative Education are exempt from this requirement.
APPLICATION PROCEDURE: Apply online.
Click on the Red "APPLY" button to begin an online application.
Please be aware that as a requirement of your application you will be invited to complete a digital interview via RIVS (Interviewstream). The invitation will come to your email and the RIVS (Interviewstream) system gives you ten (10) calendar days to complete the interview from the time the invitation is issued. Keep in mind that the interview must be completed before you can submit your application, even if the interview expiration is beyond the date of the application deadline. Therefore, all your application materials, interview included, must be submitted by the application deadline.
Please email firstname.lastname@example.org to request an extension.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our district.
We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin,
gender identity, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.