2020-2021 SY: Assistant Principal at Amy Biehl Community School
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Assistant Principal – Amy Bielh Community School
Number of hours required to accomplish the job; minimum 40/week
Pre K-12 Admistrative
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Provides support and back-up to the principal in providing a safe learning environment and ensuring a high quality curriculum. Assists Principal in implementing and managing policies, regulations and procedures to insure compliance with federal, state and local regulatory agencies. Provides instructional leadership for teachers to improve academic achievement.
Minimum: Master’s level educational degree in a related field and three (3) years of experience in teaching and/or administration. License in teaching and education administration required. Public speaking skills.
Preferred: Masters level education with a degree or concentration in education administration and a minimum of three (3) years of experience in school administration, internship or assistant principal; eight (8) years of experience in teaching, and experience in curriculum development. Bilingual: English/Spanish. Knowledge of Common Core State Standards. Knowledge of budgets, master scheduling and use of data to inform instruction.
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
Excellent written and oral communication skills. Conflict mediation skills. Ability to use a computer and standard MicroSoft Office Suite. Ability to multi-task, prioritize work activities, and meet deadlines. Organization facilitation skills. First aid and CPR. Knowledge of and experience with District’s computerized data system beneficial. Ability to make varied decisions, which at times must be made quickly, have a high impact on students and staff, may have long-term effect and can have legal and financial implications for school and district. Work with people at all levels; use of technology for data collection, analysis and reporting to promote academic achievement. Position requires meeting with various community-based organizations on a regular basis and attending Public Education Department meetings, as well as regular internal meetings. Must have a well-defined sense of community service.
Essential Job Functions:
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District. Current essential functions include but are not limited to the following:
- Assists the principal in all areas of supervision and planning
- Provides for the safety and security of students, staff and the school facility. Confers with parents, students and staff to resolve student safety and discipline issues.
- Communicates with law enforcement contacts, attends hearings and investigations, and prepares documentation. Monitors activities and facilities for conduct and safety concerns.
- Leads by being in classrooms and providing effective feedback to teachers to improve practice.
- Ensures that Common Core State Standards are implemented with fidelity.
- Promotes and facilitates academic success for all students and staff. Assists in the supervision and evaluation of employees. Provides for instructional materials and supplies and integration of technology into instruction and curriculum.
- Serves as liaison between the school and parents, business partners, and community. Attends school and community events.
- Assists with budget management, and supervision of facilities and grounds maintenance. Coordinates support services such as transportation, maintenance, and food services.
- Maintains school’s master schedule, including registration for students and staffing assignment dates.
- Attends school events, including evenings and weekends.
- Provides input to grant applications, charter applications, and reports.
- Coordinates or oversees special program staff.
- Participates in district and community meetings and committees. Communicates and upholds district policies in meetings and direct interpersonal exchanges. Develops consensus, mediates problems, and coordinates schedules and activities with a variety of individuals, including staff members, district administrators and professionals, consultants, volunteers, parents, media reporters and other people in the community.
- May be responsible for most of student discipline.
- May assist in overseeing construction projects.
- Assumes responsibility for the operation of the school in the absence of the principal
- May schedule and oversee athletic events and assemblies.
- Appears as a representative of the school in lieu of the principal
- Assists, if requested by the principal, in evaluating school personnel
- Assists in parent conferences
- Assists in general school record keeping
- Makes independent decisions only in areas stipulated by the principal
- Accepts the position as one of training as well as performance
- Keeps the principal informed of pertinent occurrences and decisions enacted during the absence of the principal
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
$66,000 to $79,600+
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Standard office equipment, including computers, copiers, fax, phone system, alarm system. Automobile to travel to other district buildings
Walking, standing. Alternate high energy with long periods of time sitting in meetings. Standing while supervising students. Running and physically restraining students (rare). Travel to community/district meetings and events. Lifting boxes of books, furniture or equipment as needed.
Position requires driving among school sites to attend meetings, some of which occur in the evening. Heavy telephone and interaction with students, parents, district staff and community. Frequent interruptions.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality.
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness.
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time.
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment.
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/ special application.
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment.
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury.
Santa Fe Public Schools
310 Avenida Del Sur, Santa Fe, NM 87508
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228