2020-2021 Parent Liaison 50010344
Reports To: Building Administrator
FSLA Status: Non-Exempt
Compensation: 102 (Salary determined by experience)
Work Days: 181
FTE: 7 hours per day
The job of Parent Liaison was established for the purpose/s of working with parents of students, promoting their involvement and providing information and/or direction; assisting parents in goal setting and educational development of their children; developing and refining program materials; and assisting in transitioning students from one grade to the next.
This position is grant funded, continuation of employment is contingent upon grant renewal.
- Coordinates volunteer programs for parent/legal guardian and other individuals as assigned for the purpose of assisting in improving parent/legal guardian involvement and enhancing student success.
- Counsels students, staff, parents/legal guardians for the purpose of evaluating situations, solving problems, resolving conflicts, referral to appropriate professionals and enhancing probability of student success in school.
- Maintains a variety of confidential and non-confidential lists and records (e.g. work/appointment schedules, contact logs, parent resources, etc.).
- Participates in a variety of meetings, workshops and committees (e.g. parent-student workshops, educational seminars, department in-service, etc.) to convey and/or gather information required to perform functions and remain knowledgeable of current professional program regulations.
- Participates in home visits as needed and/or assigned to enhance student success, increase parent/legal guardian understanding and/or ensure safety of students and/or personnel.
- Prepares a variety of documents, reports and written materials to communicate information to parents, staff; providing written support, developing recommendations and/or conveying information.
- Refers students and parents to outside agencies to meet the further needs of the students.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external sources (e.g. other district staff, outside agencies, parents/legal guardians and/or students, etc.).
- Serves as liaison to parents/legal guardians and students to remove barriers to students’ success in school.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Job Specifications: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required.
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills and/or Abilities Required):
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Specific skill-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: applying pertinent laws, rules and regulations; utilizing pertinent software applications; performing standard bookkeeping; and planning and managing projects.
- Excellent communication skills both written and verbal.
- Specific ability-based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: being attentive to detail; communicating with persons with varied cultural and educational backgrounds; establishing and maintaining constructive relationships; and maintaining confidentiality being attentive to detail; communicating with persons with varied cultural and educational backgrounds; establishing and maintaining constructive relationships; and maintaining confidentiality.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
The working conditions and physical requirements described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
- Able to sit and stand for extended periods of time
- Exhibit manual dexterity to enter data into a computer
- Able to see and read a computer screen and printed material with or without vision aids
- Hear and understand speech at normal levels, outdoors and on the telephone
- Speak in audible tones so that others may understand clearly
- Physical agility to lift up to 25 pounds, to bend, stoop, climb stairs, walk and reach
- Duties are normally performed in an office environment.
- The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.