Bilingual Assistant - Oromo
Hours: 8 hours/day; 5 days/week during school year
General Purpose of Job: Our Mission is to inspire and prepare all students with the confidence, courage, and competence to achieve their dreams; contribute to community; and engage in a lifetime of learning by providing translation and interpreting services to bilingual parents and students. This position will serve as a main contact for bilingual parents when communicating with them regarding their student’s education and/or concerns from the school. The Bilingual Assistant may rotate between several sites identified with high and immediate needs for interpreting and translating services. The individual in this role will provide support to bilingual parents and students to work towards strengthening the family’s connection with the school system, teachers, and administrators.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Translate school communications, including information to market the school to parents, the school calendar, a school newsletter, communications about specific school events (conferences, tutor sessions, etc.) and other related communications.
- Provide translation and interpretation clerical support for the front office as needed.
- Assist families in overcoming barriers to their attendance at parent-teacher conferences; attend conferences to assist parents while communicating with school staff.
- Orient new families to the school and provide assistance to increase student and parent engagement in school.
- Review information gathered from meetings with parents; make recommendations to school administration on how to make the school a more inviting and engaging place for emergent bilingual students, families, and the community.
- Contribute to the district’s inclusive workplace efforts by fostering a safe, welcoming and respectful environment.
- Facilitate meetings between students, parents and school staff who are from diverse cultural, ethnic, and socio- economic backgrounds to aid home/school communication and assist in the resolution of misunderstandings and conflicts due to language barriers.
- Work with school administrators and/or the volunteer coordinator as they advise and schedule tutors and volunteers from racially and culturally underrepresented bi-lingual communities.
- Meet with emergent bilingual students to gather information to advocate for their needs/issues; assist students experiencing a variety of academic, social and/or emotional needs; serve as a role model for students; encourage good attendance and promote high achievement.
- Assist School Social Worker in working with families to address truancy and attendance problems.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Experience translating and interpreting in second language, preferably in an educational setting.
- Must be fluent in English and Oromo.
- Level of proficiency required: able to read, write, and speak all styles and forms of the language fluently and accurately on all levels pertinent to professional needs. Proficiency level must be equivalent to that of a native professional.
- Skilled with Microsoft Windows environment, Google Suite tools, and the Internet, including Word and demonstrated skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills; correspondences and student reports.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to work collaboratively with others.
- Excellent organizational skills.
- Ability to effectively interpret and translate complex information to bilingual families and emergent bilingual students.
Hourly Rate Range: $15.20 - $21.99
Bargaining Group: Equity