Speech to Text Captionist
Special School District is seeking a captionist to work within the Countywide Program for Students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing. Realtime captionists or individuals with experience and proficiency using captioning software such as C-print are encouraged to apply.
Summary: To provide to text captioning for students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, thereby equalizing educational access to communication by meeting the linguistic needs of the setting.
(To be successful at SSD all positions must embrace the principles of – One Child-One Team, service oriented leadership, accountable management, and effective collaboration.)
I.Provides Visual Communication access:
- Maintains dictionaries consistent with class needs and prepare appropriately by obtaining terminology inherent to the assignment and previewing literature (curricula, syllabi, textbooks, teacher handouts etc…), as well as meeting with presenters, faculty, and students.
- Prepares and maintains equipment as needed.
II. Communicates with educational team in support of team goals and the provision of services:
- Demonstrates effective professional relationships with students, teachers, parents, and peers, and facilitates resolution of support service concerns as a multi-disciplinary educational team.
- Provides information through staffing to faculty, staff, and students regarding:
- speech to text captioning
- communication between deaf and hearing people, and
- Represents daily the mission of Special School District.
- Attends staff meetings and networks with other staff members to maintain flow of information critical to quality of service. This includes checking voice mail daily.
- Provides clarification of captionist’s role to all students, staff, and parents.
- Participates in IEPs as appropriate.
- Maintains ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students.
- Follows supervisory chain of command as applicable to the situation.
III. Demonstrates professional development:
- Maintains captioning skills, and certification/licensure as required.
- Increases knowledge of new software and technological developments related to speech to text captioning.
- Develops specialized content expertise appropriate for current assignment.
- Enhances interpersonal skills.
- Participates in pre-school workshops, in-service training, and parent conferences when appropriate.
- Performs other duties within the guidelines of ethical conduct as assigned.
Vocational Preparation: (Experience)
Must have passed a preliminary screening to demonstrate typing proficiency, phonetic ability, and correct use of English grammar.
Educational Preparation: (Formal and Informal)
Must have successfully completed either CART or C-Print speech to text captionist training program, resulting in certification and/or licensure, and must fulfill any future certification and licensure requirements to maintain professional standing. Must demonstrate a minimum typing speech of 60 words per minute, excellent listening skills, and the ability t use correct English grammar, spelling, punctuation, and vocabulary, as well as proficiency in using computer aided transcription software programs, and a working knowledge of word processing application programs.
(Please see attached job description for additional information)
Interested applicants must apply online: www.ssdmo.org/careers.html
The District does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, sex, sexual orientation, religious preference, marital status, disability, national origin, or any other reason prohibited by state or federal law. Employees of the District are required to comply with the provisions of the Title VII of The Civil Rights Act and Title IX of the 1972 Educational Amendments.