Teacher Assistant (Part-Time) (2020-2021 SY)
POSITION PURPOSE: Under direct supervision of the assigned teacher, provides assistance in maintaining a well-organized, appropriate classroom environment in order to create “A challenging, engaging and safe school district, connecting each child to a successful future…everywhere and every day.”
- Assists teacher in maintaining student discipline and conduct.
- Assists with set-up of classroom and prepares materials for specialized instructional units.
- Works with small groups or individuals during classroom activities under the teacher’s supervision.
- Operates office equipment such as computers, typewriters, copier, calculators and laminator.
- Collects and displays suitable material for displays and bulletin boards.
- Provides clerical support by performing such duties as light typing and data entry, routine sorting and filing, and maintaining of student records.
- Collects incoming money for field trips, school pictures, and other school related fees; prepares receipts for money collected.
- Participates in daily and long-range lesson and classroom activity planning.
- Participates, when requested, in parent conferences, meetings, professional development and staff meetings.
- Assists teacher in maintaining neat work/study areas, collecting and storing equipment after use by the group and general housekeeping chores.
- Assists with supervision of students, as requested.
QUALIFICATIONS: Instructional Assistants must meet No Child Left Behind and District compliance for Paraprofessional Highly Qualified status:
- Associate’s degree (A.A.) or equivalent from a two-year college or technical school; OR
- 60 college credit hours from an accredited college or university; OR
- Satisfactory score on Educational Testing Service ParaPro Assessment.
EXPERIENCE: To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of basic computer operations and functions, use of the Internet and Microsoft Office applications, and skill in the use of general office equipment such as calculators, typewriters, copier, etc.
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge and understanding of children.
- Ability to work with others.
- Willingness to follow directions.
- Ability to handle unforeseen situations in accordance with Board Policy.
- Ability to accept individual differences among children.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
Unless reasonable accommodations can be made, while performing this job the staff member shall:
Use strength to lift items needed to perform the functions of the job.
Sit, stand and walk for required periods of time.
Speak and hear.
Use close vision, color vision, peripheral vision and depth perception along with the ability to focus vision.
Communicate effectively in English, using proper grammar and vocabulary. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
Reach with hands and arms and use hands and fingers to handle objects and operate tools, technology equipment, computers, and/or controls.
- Work effectively with and respond to diverse cultures or backgrounds.
- Demonstrate professionalism and appropriate judgment in behavior, speech, and dress in a neat, clean and professional manner for the assignment and work setting.
- Have regular and punctual attendance.
- Follow all District policies, work procedures, and reasonable requests by the proper authorities.
REPORTS TO: Principal
DAYS PER YEAR: To Be Determined
HOURS A DAY: To BE Determined
SALRY CLASSIFICATION: Part-Time Hourly Rate $12.61
EMPLOYEE GROUP: Classified
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Must apply online by completing an "Classified" application and adding this specific job to your online application.
FLSA STATUS: Non-Exempt
EMPLOYEE'S ACKNOWLEDGEMENT STATEMENT:
1. I have reviewed the above position description and understand its contents.
2. I am aware that my position description may be revised or updated at any time and once notified of changes, I remain responsible for knowledge of its contents.
3. I hereby certify that I possess the physical and mental ability to fulfill the essential functions of the above position with or without reasonable accommodation(s). If I require accommodation(s) in order to fulfill any or all of these functions, I agree to provide information to the District regarding the requested accommodation(s).
Employee's Name (Print): ___________________________________
Employee's Signature: ___________________________________