Library Paraprofessional 6 1/2 Hours Per Day
ROCKFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION
JOB TITLE: Elementary Library Paraprofessional
JOB CODE: 2490
SUPERVISOR: Principal & Library Media Specialist
DATE: May 19, 2015
SUMMARY: Under supervision of the Principal and Library Media Specialist, the job of Elementary Library Paraprofessional was established for the purpose/s of maintaining the library collections at school sites; identifying age appropriate resources for students and teachers utilizing library resources; reading duties, including reading aloud to classes; selecting appropriate items in support of classroom instruction; and performing clerical functions related to collection, processing, circulation, maintenance, and inventory of library materials and/or textbooks.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: None.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following:
- Library Media Center Services
- Assists in properly shelving and maintaining materials inventory (e.g. library books, media equipment and related instructional materials, etc.) for the purpose of providing uptodate reference and ensuring the availability of materials when required.
- Assists teachers, students and administrators for the purpose of identifying resource materials for use in classroom and/or class assignments.
- Performs circulation activities (e.g. item checkin and checkout, prepare circulation count, lists of overdue items, etc.) for the purpose of controlling the use, location and availability of items in the collection.
- Provide circulation service to students and staff, including assistance with searching for library media center materials in the Destiny Library System.
- Assists in evaluating books and/or periodicals for retention within collection (e.g. repairing damaged books, recommending retirement of books and/or periodicals, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring the availability of books and library materials.
- Assist with collection weeding and prepare materials for discard.
- Prepares computerized and manual reports (e.g. collection statistics, scheduling reports/requests, renewal information, overdue lists, fines, costs, etc.) for the purpose of providing documentation and information to others.
- Responds to inquiries from students, staff, parents (e.g. availability of texts, finding appropriate reference documents, status of overdue fines, etc.) to aid and assist in providing requested information.
- Assist students and staff with operation of library media center AV and computer equipment.
- Adhere to District policies, procedures, rules and regulations.
- Provide a pleasant and inviting environment with appropriate displays.
- Reading Duties
- Read aloud to children in grades K5 using recommended books from librarian and ask ROCKFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION questions using effective techniques to enlist the participation of all of the students (e.g., wait time)
- The school librarian will write higher order thinking skills questions for new readaloud books. The elementary library paraprofessional will use these questions to enhance readaloud sessions.
- Enhance student’s read aloud session by asking questions relating the story’s plot to the children’s own experiences.
- In collaboration with the classroom teacher, provide book selection guidance for all students, especially beginning readers.
- Reinforce the students’ understanding of different types of reading genres and the parts of the book.
- Reinforce students’ use of different types of print reference material (e.g., atlases, encyclopedias, and almanacs).
- Supplement classroom literature units by presenting additional books and library media center material.
- Collect library media center material for classroom use on selected/designated topics, within an appropriate time frame, as requested by classroom teachers.
- Clerical Tasks
- Produce letters, requisitions, bibliographies, book orders, and labels.
- Organize and maintain library media center files.
- Make and distribute copies of library media center related information.
- Repairs books, periodicals, and related materials for the purpose of ensuring the availability of library reference and circulation materials.
- Contact students’ families regarding delinquent materials.
- Maintain accounting of fees submitted to the school office.
- Read and respond to email daily.
- Budget and Inventory
- Under the direction of the school librarian, coordinate staff suggestions for the purchase of material and maintain a book suggestion database.
- Check the Destiny Library System against new book orders and gift books for duplicates. Alert the school librarian of duplicates.
- Complete an annual book inventory and update data in the Destiny Library System.
- Assists in ordering library supplies and equipment, as assigned for the purpose of ensuring availability as needed Assumes any other duties as may from time to time be delegated by the supervisor and the supervisor may make any adjustment in the scope of responsibilities as outlined above which will be in the interest of the school district. Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective function of the library.
1. Completed 60 semester hours of college credit at a regionally accredited institution of ROCKFORD BOARD OF EDUCATION higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
2. Obtained an associate degree (or higher) at a regionally accredited institution of higher education (evidence is an official transcript); or
3. Met a formal State assessment by ONE of the following means:
- Passed the ETS ParaPro assessment with a score of 460 or higher (evidence is an official score report);or
- Passed the applicable ACT WorkKeys assessments (Applied Mathematics4, Reading for Information4, Writing/Business Writing3)
- Participates in job training and professional growth opportunities in order to enhance ability to perform the essential functions of the job.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring an efficient and effective work environment.