2020-2021 SY: Cafeteria Substitute
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Student Nutrition/ School Principal
177 work days
All positions with Santa Fe Public Schools require a post offer/pre-employment background check. Some positions have additional requirements as established by Federal or State Rules and Regulations.
Fill absences or vacancies for kitchen staff in cafeterias as needed. Expected to drive to and work in any kitchen in the district. Prepares and serves attractive, nutritious, and palatable cafeteria meals in an efficient, pleasant, and clean environment, while meeting standards for Child Nutrition programs and complying with sanitation standards and district policies. As positions open, substitutes will be considered if performance standards have consistently been met and training for the cook/cashier position has been started.
(Basic minimum requirements are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the District.)
Minimum: High School diploma or equivalent education
Preferred: Cooking/kitchen experience, bilingual in English and Spanish.
Certification: Must have or obtain Food Handler Certificate
Knowledge/Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to follow directions for food preparation, service, and clean up.
- Ability to work in a safe manner and follow sanitation procedures.
- Ability to serve correct portions as instructed by foodservice manager.
- Ability to learn requirements for the school meal programs.
- Ability to understand and follow recipes.
Essential Job Functions
All functions are performed in accordance with established policies, procedures, safety and environmental regulations, facility and computer security policies and procedures. Functions are subject to change from time to time to meet the needs of the organization. Current essential functions include the following:
- Complies with department rules, procedures, administrative directive and regulations, district policies and procedures, and federal, state and local regulations.
- Prepares or assists in the preparation, service, and cleanup of foods using menus, standardized recipes, designated portion sizes, and following district sanitation procedures.
- Records food used on Food Production Worksheets accurately to account for usage.
- Stores, utilizes and disposes of food and supplies following federal, state, and local regulations.
- Follows sanitation and safety standards in cleanup and operation of the kitchen and kitchen equipment.
- Practices a "clean as you go" policy to keep work area clean and sanitized.
- Serves food to students and adults in a friendly and appetizing manner while meeting the requirements by offering correct portions.
- Responsible for timesheet making sure foodservice manager verifies and initials time worked at each site. Turns signed timesheet in to the Student Nutrition office on established due dates.
- Takes and passes assessment tests quarterly or as needed to ensure understanding of job requirements and program requirements.
- Willingness to work toward meeting all performance standards and learn skills required for the cook position so as positions open, will be ready to move into a permanent position.
- Performs other relevant tasks as may be required.
Resources Used in Performing Job Include (but are not limited to):
Manual and mechanical kitchen equipment such as knives, can openers, scales, serving equipment, etc. as well as institutional cooking equipment such as mixers, ovens, steamers, dishwashers, etc. Must read and follow recipes, menus and food production worksheets.
Regularly required to stand; move throughout the room and/or facility; communicate verbally and electronically; use hands to finger, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms. Frequently required to stoop, kneel, crouch, and/or crawl. Occasionally required to sit, climb, and balance, and drive. Regularly required to lift or exert force of up to 25 pounds; frequently required to lift or exert force of up to 50 pounds; and occasionally required to lift or exert force of up to 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required include close vision, distance vision, color vision and the ability to adjust focus.
Environment may be hot or humid and may also be loud during service. Use of certain kitchen equipment can be hazardous.
- Demonstrates reliability as evidenced by attendance records and punctuality
- Properly notifies supervisor and/or designee of absences or tardiness
- Begins and completes work within the allotted time
- Consistently appears in attire appropriate to the work environment
- Demonstrates skill in the use of equipment including its capabilities, limitations and appropriate/special application
- Protects the District’s resources through appropriate and careful use of supplies and equipment
- Utilizes appropriate body mechanics to aid in the prevention of muscle strain/injury
Santa Fe Public Schools
2600 Cerillos Road, Santa Fe, NM 87505
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $11,258
% ELL Students
State Average: 16%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.45
% IEP Students
State Average: 15%
State Average: 228