Web Developer II: Full Stack Web Developer
Our purpose is to aid teachers and administrators in their roles as educators of our children. We love our teachers and administrators and want to do right by them every day. We listen, dream, sketch, and build tools to support our large in-person training facility, expert staff in the field, and remote teaching and learning platforms. At our core, we are a customer service organization. Compassionate support is everyone's job.
As part of our Customer Experience Team, you will contribute to business critical web applications used by thousands of teachers and staff across a variety of front-end and back-end technologies.
- Work with internal content experts to spec and build new features for supported systems.
- Implement system connections using APIs and webhooks, integrating 3rd party services, and optimizing best of breed tools.
- Implement design concepts created by and with the Region 13 Communications and Design team.
- Provide Level 3 support for web applications and our learning management systems.
- Keep current with emerging web technologies and best practices.
- Serve as a representative of ESC Region 13, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the educational community and with the public.
- Collaborate with and accept direction from senior team members.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Must have 1-3 years professional work experience in web development.
- Must have the ability to translate technical requirements into elegant code solutions.
- Must be able to code at all levels of a web application stack.
- Must be able to complete features with minimal direction.
- Must be able to discuss design decisions during code review.
- Must be hands on, passionate, persistent, creative, and humble — you get things done.
- Must have good time management and organizational skills.
- Must be able to work in an office environment or remotely as the situation dictates. This is not a 100% remote opportunity.
- Associate’s Degree or higher in computer information systems or computer science preferred.
Our ideal candidate:
- Is comfortable building with and supporting PHP 5.x, PHP 7.x, CraftCMS, Wordpress, Expression Engine, Drupal, Canvas by Instructure, Schoology, Moodle, Magento, Shopify, Helpscout, Wistia, Youtube, Mailchimp, and/or Pardot.
- Has experience building and tuning queries for relational databases. (MySQL prefered.)
- Has experience managing source code using git, bitbucket, gogs, and/or github.
- Possesses a focus on continuous improvement and can describe the approaches taken.
About Region 13
Region 13 is part of the State of Texas Education system. We are a non-regulatory agency; our relationship with school districts is collaborative and supportive. We are a group of about 275 folks that share the purpose of helping teachers and administrators in their roles as educators of our children.
We also serve as a liaison between the Texas Education Agency and the local school districts and the schools they serve by disseminating information, conducting training, and consultation for both federal and state programs. We’re super proud of the work we do.
We are looking for amazing people who have diverse backgrounds and experiences, are inspired by our mission and are highly motivated to help people get things done. We’re looking for talented people who learn from failure and overcome adversity, cultivate strong relationships, and push themselves, their work and the people and systems around them to the next level.
We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience in a similar position in our industry. This is a full-time position (232 days) with a minimum annual salary of $62,000.
We offer a comprehensive benefits plan effective on the first day of employment. Benefits options include health, dental and vision plans, disability, life insurance, flexible spending account options, generous vacation time, and access to professional development. As an employee of Region 13, you will contribute to both the Teacher Retirement System and Social Security. We also offer an inclusive environment where staff are encouraged to bring their whole selves to work each day.
If Region 13 sounds like a place that will allow you to show off your talents in the name of bettering public education, then we want to hear from you. Please submit your resume and tailored cover letter online. We will review applications and fill the position when we find the perfect fit. We will not consider applications without a cover letter tailored to this position. Please note that an offer of employment will be subject to the successful completion of a background check. At Region 13, we know that diversity makes us stronger and challenges us to think differently every day. We are an equal opportunity employer and seek individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds to apply to this position.
The above statements are intended to describe the general purpose and responsibilities assigned to this job and are not intended to represent an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills that may be required.