Job Summary: Experience supporting educational dynamics with children.
TITLE: Special Education Paraprofessional
Applicant must have minimum of 60 college credits or a passing score on the ParaPro Assessment. Must be capable of physically assisting students with special needs as required including, but not limited to, positioning, lifting, transferring and restraining.
ABA experience preferred.
Under the supervision of the building principals and the oversight of a certified teacher or other certified staff, the paraprofessional assists/reinforces student instruction, behavior, social skills, community-based instruction, and activities of daily living. A paraprofessional may also assist with clerical and other related tasks to the instruction of students with special needs.
1 . Assists students prior to the beginning of the school day, during the school day, and at the end of the school day.
- Ensures that students get from the bus to the classroom and from the classroom to the bus each day.
- Supports students by reinforcing personal, social, behavioral, and academic learning goals. This may include assisting students with self-care tasks in the areas of eating, dressing, and toileting.
- Escorts student to restrooms and provides assistance when necessary. Depending on assignment, diapering and direct facilitation of toileting may be required.
- Assists with classroom management, providing students with needed positive behavioral supports.
- Supports student participation in class activities providing prompting, cueing, modeling, and coaching as needed.
- Promotes student independence, fading supports when appropriate; helping students develop competence and self-confidence.
- Facilitates student use of Assistive Technology.
- Assists school staff in maintaining a safe and effective learning environment for academic and non-academic settings (i.e. lunchrooms, study halls, playgrounds and buses).
- Attends professional development provided by the department of Student Support Services as well as appropriate district workshops and in-service trainings.
12.0bserves the actions of students and provides input and collects data, when required.
- Communicates with Child Study Team.
- Reviews IEPs of assigned students with the Child Study Team.
- Provides minor clerical assistance to certified staff.
- Maintains confidentiality of students at all times.
- Models appropriate language for students.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education.
Performance of this position will be evaluated annually in accordance with the Board's policy on the evaluation of non-certified staff.
Approved: 1 1 /19/15 H-16-1 1