SPECIAL EDUCATION TEACHER - Transition Center
REPORTS TO: Principal, Educational and Transition Center
AVAILABLE: Full-time position available immediately. Work schedule based on district calendar. Hours 8:30 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday; 8:00 a.m. - 3:30 p.m. Wednesday
SALARY & BENEFITS: Salary to be determined by qualifications and experience and as specified in the MCIEA Master Agreement salary schedule. Benefits as specified in the MCIEA Master Agreement.
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Develop and implement individualized instruction programs that will give the students the opportunity to develop communicative, daily living and socialization/leisure skills.
- Develop pre-vocational and vocational skills that will allow the student to function at the highest level of independence possible.
- Provide and adapt curriculum materials for individual cognitive instruction that is appropriate, realistic and relevant to the student.
- Provide instruction in the use of various adaptive teaching aids such as computers and communication devices/methods.
- Provide case management activities for each assigned student and coordinate services of involved support service staff as well as appropriate community agencies.
- Comply with all rules, regulations, policies and procedures concerning the population and complete all required tasks.
- Develop and maintain an appropriate relationship with parents and/or guardians and periodically inform them of the students' progress.
- Instruct, supervise and coordinate and plan activities for the teacher aide.
- Design and implement appropriate behavioral intervention strategies when required. Must be able to physically manage acting out students/young adults.
- Participate in extracurricular activities that are a part of the total education program.
- Maintain regular, predictable attendance.
- Adhere to MCISD Guidelines and Policies.
- Assume other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's Degree minimum and valid Michigan Teaching Certificate with SA (CI) endorsement. Must meet Highly Qualified standard for center-based program.
EXPERIENCE: One year of classroom teaching experience preferred. Experience in supervision and/or direction of non-certified personnel preferred.
- Ability to apply current research and theory to instruction.
- Ability to work with individuals and groups.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to communicate orally and in writing.
- Demonstrated understanding of and initiative to work with students, staff and parents.
Upon hire, employees of the Monroe County Intermediate School District are fingerprinted for a Michigan and FBI criminal history check. The processing fee of $43.25 is the responsibility of the applicant.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities for perform the essential functions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate to loud. The employee is frequently required to interact with the public and other staff. The employee is directly responsible for the safety, well-being and work output of students.
APPLICATIONS ACCEPTED UNTIL FILLED
Current Monroe County Intermediate School District employees who meet the qualifications must complete the online application at www.monroeisd.us to be considered. Click on "Employment" and "Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position. You MUST update education and work experience. Supporting documents required (resume', 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Must complete online application at www.monroeisd.us. Click on "Employment" and "Frontline Education - Applicant Tracking" and follow instructions to apply for this position. Faxed or mailed applications will not be accepted. Supporting documents required (transcripts, 3 letters of reference, and applicable certifications/license) must be uploaded with the application.
Human Resources Department
Monroe County Intermediate School District
1101 S. Raisinville Road
Monroe MI 48161
Phone: (734) 322-2642
The Monroe County Intermediate School District does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, age, sex, marital status, religion, disability or handicap.