Floating Substitute Teacher
The Floating Substitute is a full-time, salaried position that includes single benefits. The position requires flexibility and excellent communication skills. A teaching certificate is preferred.
TITLE: FLOATING SUBSTITUTE TEACHER
- Valid New Jersey Teaching Certificate or New Jersey Substitute Teacher Instructional Certificate.
- Ability to maintain a positive learning environment.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to follow lesson plans, left by the permanent teacher.
- Required criminal history background check and proof of U.S. citizenship or legal resident alien status.
- Current residency in New Jersey, approved residency waiver or candidate agrees to obtain residency within one year of employment.
REPORTS TO: Principal
SUPERVISES: Pupils, and when assigned, a classroom aide
- To manage a classroom in the absence of the regular teacher.
- To deliver lesson presentations in a way that is age-appropriate for the class.
- To assist administration in completing various building tasks (i.e. – non-instructional duties) as needed.
Duties Upon Arrival
- Reports to office upon arrival at school.
- Checks for messages or materials requiring immediate attention.
- Requests clarification of school rules and procedures, if necessary.
- Arrives in the classroom on schedule to greet students and remains in the assigned classroom so that students are effectively supervised.
- Maintains discipline and classroom control in order to promote active learning in the classroom while teaching the outlined lesson and implementing the lesson plan(s).
- Maintains as fully as possible the established routines and procedures of the school and classroom to which he/she is assigned.
- Delivers lesson presentations in a way that is age-appropriate for the class and meets the individual needs, interests and ability levels of all pupils.
- Budgets class time effectively.
- Ensures the adequate supervision to assure health, welfare, and safety of all students.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Reports all student injuries, accidents, illnesses, and discipline problems to the appropriate authority immediately or as soon as reasonably possible.
- Follows the schedule during the school day and remains in the assigned classroom until all students have been dismissed for the day.
- Follows all policies, rules and procedures established for regular teachers and which good teaching practice dictates.
- Completes evaluation report form at the end of the day and checks out with authorized personnel prior to leaving at the end of the day.
- Determines if his/her services will be required for the next school day, following the district protocol for making substitute teacher assignments.
- Maintains and respects the confidentiality of student and school personnel information.
- Cooperates with other professional staff members.
- Maintains records of pupil's educational progress in class record books and/or board approved forms and summarizes these marks for reporting purposes.
- Collects and places students’ papers in an appropriate location.
- Returns instructional materials, equipment and keys to proper place.
- Upholds and enforces school rules, administrative regulations and board policy.
- Models non-discriminatory practices in all areas.
- Performs other duties within the scope of his/her employment and certification as may be assigned.
EMPLOYMENT: Daily salary to be determined by the board.
annual evaluation Performance of this job will be evaluated in accordance with New Jersey State law and the provisions of the board’s policy on evaluation of substitute teachers.
Approved by: Mendham Borough Board of Education
Date: August 20, 2018
N.J.S.A. 7F Comprehensive Educational Improvement and Financing Act
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-7.1 Criminal history record; employee in regular contact with pupils; grounds for disqualification from employment; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:6-10 Dismissal and reduction in compensation of persons under tenure in public school system
N.J.S.A. 18A:16-2 Physical examinations; requirement
N.J.S.A. 18A:25-2 Authority over pupils
N.J.S.A. 18A:25-4 School register; keeping
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1 Citizenship of teachers, etc.
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-1.1 Residence requirement prohibited
N.J.S.A. 18A:26-2 Certificates required; exception
N.J.S.A. 18A:27 Employment and contracts
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-3 No tenure for noncitizens
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-5 Tenure of teaching staff members
N.J.S.A. 18A:28-8 Notice of intention to resign required
N.J.S.A. 18A:37 Discipline of pupils
N.J.A.C. 6A:7 Managing for equality and equity in education
N.J.A.C. 6A:8 Standards and assessment
N.J.A.C. 6A:9 Professional licensure and standards
N.J.A.C. 6A:9-3.3 Professional standards for teachers
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B State board of examiners and certification
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-5 General certification policies
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-8 Requirements for instructional certificate
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-10.1 Preschool through grade three certification requirements
N.J.A.C. 6A:9B-10.11 Elementary school with subject matter specialization
N.J.A.C. 6A:9C-3 Required professional development for teachers and school leaders
N.J.A.C. 6A:10 Educator effectiveness
N.J.A.C. 6A:10-2.1 et seq. Evaluation of teaching staff members
N.J.A.C. 6A:10-4.1 et seq. Components of teacher evaluation
N.J.A.C. 6A:16 Programs to support student development
N.J.A.C. 6A:32 School district operations
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-4 Employment of teaching staff
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-5.1 Standards for determining seniority
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-6 School employee physical examinations
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-7 Student records
N.J.A.C. 6A:32-8 Attendance and pupil accounting
8 U.S.C.A. 1100 et seq. Immigration Reform and Control Act of 1986,
Every Student Succeeds Act, Pub. L. 114-95, Title 1, 20 U.S.C.A. 6301 et seq.