Special Education Teacher
POSITION TITLE: Special Education Teacher
REPORTS TO: Principal
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WORK SCHEDULE: 190 days
DATE REVIEWED: 01/2018
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT: Maintains an up-to-date, in-field certificate issued by the Georgia Professional Standards Commission; salary and length of contract to be established by the Board of Education.
PRIMARY FUNCTION: To plan for and to provide appropriate learning experiences and educational opportunities for students with disabilities assigned to the classroom.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES: Other duties may be assigned.
- Conducts assessments, testing and diagnostic examinations of students for the purpose of identifying learning issues, and recommending courses of action or corrective procedures to overcome issues and maximize learning.
- Participates in PPT's and assists in developing Individual Educational Plans ("IEP") for students.
- Assists students and teaching staff in implementing students' IEP's and behavior management plans.
- Coordinates with outside agencies, organizations and institutions, including state and federal authorities as needed.
- Coordinates with administrators and other teaching staff members to ascertain individual student's abilities and needs, including students with special needs, and to familiarize stakeholders with social work services.
- Communicates, collaborates, and cooperates with colleagues, supervisors, and students
- Demonstrates command of school subject(s) being taught.
- Develops, selects and modifies lessons and materials to meet individual student needs
- Plans and implements developmentally appropriate interactive learning experiences.
- Communicates regularly with parents outside normal classroom day by means of class newsletters, notes, telephone calls, conferences, emails, websites, etc.
- Addresses the unique needs students in caseload, i.e., lifting and positioning moderately intellectually disabled, orthopedically impaired, severely and profoundly disabled students or signing for deaf/hard of hearing students
- Monitors students’ progress in learning through a variety of techniques.
- Follows due process procedures for all referred and eligible students with disabilities
- Is available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day including PTA events, family engagement events.
- Participates in professional learning to increase skills and proficiency related to job responsibilities and serves on committee’s when needed.
- Provides assessments that measure student achievement of objectives.
- Utilizes technology effectively to plan, teach, and assess.
- Evaluates, selects, and modifies resources and activities to match learner’s needs and meet the curriculum standards.
- Participates in daily duties and responsibilities within the school.
- Meets expectations according to the special education teacher job description
Supervises classroom, students, paraprofessional (if applicable), and volunteers.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
Bachelor’s degree in applicable field of education from a Professional Standards Commission (PSC)-approved college or university required. Must have valid in-field teaching certificate. Previous teaching experience preferred. Experience in teaching in Special Education preferred.
Performance of this job shall be evaluated annually in accordance with provisions of the board's policy on evaluation of certified personnel.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: To perform the duties of this job, the employee is required to stand, walk, sit, or hear. Lifting up to 30 pounds may be required on an occasional basis. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. Specific vision abilities required of this job include close vision and distance vision.