Paraprofessional- Language Based Program
To assist, support and work closely with teachers, administrators and other team members in providing educational benefits for students.
Reports To: Building Principal, Coordinator of Special Education
1. Works with individual students or small groups of students to reinforce learning of materials or skills initially introduced and outlined by licensed staff.
2. Provides / adjusts classroom activities, assignments and / or materials under the direction of the supervising teacher (e.g., reinforcement of IEP goals and objectives, etc.) for the purpose of supporting and reinforcing classroom objectives as well as providing an opportunity for all special education students to participate in classroom activities.
3. Monitors student work, scores papers and assessments, supervises curriculum-based testing and makeup work as assigned by the licensed staff.
4. Serves as a source of information and help to substitute teachers assigned in the absence of regular licensed staff.
5. May substitute for absent teacher, with pay differential consistent with contract.
6. Performs clerical tasks, classroom tasks, and instructional duties as assigned by the licensed staff.
7. Alerts the licensed staff to any problem or special information about an individual student.
8. Performs assigned supervision of students during lunch periods, play periods and on field trips.
9. Performs assigned non-instructional classroom duties, such as snack time, toileting and clothing routines.
10. Demonstrates ethical behavior and confidentiality of information about students in school environment and community.
11. Participates in in-service training programs as approved.
12. Administers first aid and medical assistance as instructed by a certified staff member for the purpose of meeting immediate health care needs as trained.
13. Assists medically fragile or multiply disabled students for the purpose of maintaining student’s personal hygine, toileting and clothing routines.
14. Maintains safe working environment to be safety minded in the performance of all school-related duties.
15. Performs other such duties / assignments as directed by the licensed staff, within the scope of the job description.
16. Assists as directed by certified staff in the effort to successfully maintain students with special needs in an integrated setting as determined by the IEP.
17. Engage in trainings, provided by the district within their work year, required to provide effective programming to students. (Example: Crisis Prevention Intervention, Instructional Support Strategies, Inclusion Support Strategies).
18. Perform other duties as requested by the building principal, the Coordinator of Special Education, or the Director of Pupil Services, within the scope of job description.
QUALIFICATIONS: High School Diploma or equivalent, Baccalaureate degree preferred