Spanish Teacher-(Twinsburg High School)-Second Semester 2020-2021 SY
THIS IS A ONE (1) YEAR CONTRACT ONLY. CONTRACT WILL END AT THE CONCLUSION OF THE 2020-21 SCHOOL YEAR
Spanish Teacher-(Twinsburg High School)
Under the general supervision of the School Principal, to develop students' knowledge, skills and abilities in comprehending, speaking, reading and writing Spanish, and to develop an understanding and appreciation of the native culture of the countries where the language is the primary means of communication.
- Develops and administers Spanish curriculum consistent with school district goals and objectives.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conducive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in Spanish, including comprehension, grammar and syntax, sentence and paragraph structure, composition, vocabulary and proper word usage, colloquialisms, communication and translation of literature.
- Develops student understanding and appreciation of the cultures and mores of countries where the language is the predominant or a major means of communication.
- Works with students and others to prepare materials for inclusion in literary publications, contests, etc.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
- Encourages parental involvement in students' education and ensures effective communication with students and parents.
- Ensures that student conduct conforms to the school's standards and school district policies, and establishes and maintains standards of student behavior needed to achieve a functional learning atmosphere in the classroom.
- Coordinates with other professional staff members, especially within grade level, and participates in faculty meetings and committees.
- Selects and requisitions appropriate books, instructional aids and other supplies and equipment and maintains inventory records.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other central office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to school district buildings and professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of Spanish, in terms of grammar, word usage, word denotations and connotations, and literature.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
Works in standard office and school building environments.
Note: Also see the Summary of Physical, Sensory and Environmental Requirements Needed to Perform Essential Functions for this position.
- Ohio Certification as a foreign language teacher in Spanish.
- Bachelors' Degree from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters' Degree in related area preferred.
Successful prior foreign language teaching experience a plus.
FLSA Status: Exempt