Teacher - Deaf Education
Mesquite Independent School District is seeking qualifed candidates for the position of teacher for the Hearing Impaired in the Special Education Department.
The teacher will report to the campus principal/special education coordinator and will be responsible for the instructional program associated with the hearing impaired classroom. The appointee will work closely with students, classroom teachers, parents, special education personnel and other campus members.
--possess an in-depth understanding of effective instructional strategies
--have an understanding of and compassion for children with various learning styles
--demonstrate a high level of proficiency in sign language
--possess an understanding of computer functions and values technology as it relates to instruction
--appreciate, understand, and value multicultural and ethnic diversity
--demonstrate effective communication, public relation, and interpersonal skills
• Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Administration may find appropriate and acceptable
• Create a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity, interest, and abilities of students.
• Guide the learning process toward the achievement of established district curriculum goals.
• Employ a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
• Assess the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, provides progress reports as required, and communicate with parents as deemed necessary.
• Identify the special needs of students and seek assistance of others as needed.
• Develop a student behavior plan which is consistent with established administrative policies.
• Maintain accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy, and administrative regulation.
• Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
• Make a provision for being available to students on a daily basis, and parents by appointment.
• Plan and supervise assignments for teacher aides, volunteers, and student teachers, and makes written evaluation as required.
• Maintain an ongoing program of professional growth that fulfills district requirements and personal expectations as a professional.
• Take an active part in the district-approved teacher evaluation process, contributing to a mutual agreement concerning the results of that evaluation.
• Attend campus and district meetings to promote communication and mutual decision making among the staff.
• Attend established traditional school-sponsored activities (e.g., Student orientations, Open House, programs, and activities) agreed upon by the building principal and the faculty.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
• Frequent prolonged and irregular hours.
Yearly Salary Schedule
Employment date to be determined
187 day contract
The Mesquite Independent School District is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of ethnicity, religion, gender, age, national origin, disability, military status, genetic information or for any other reason prohibited by law.