Education Specialist: Special Education Liaison
Job | Posted 2 months ago
Reports To: Director Academic Services
Salary: This is a full-time 12 month position at 232 days per year with an annual salary of $64,977.
- Serve as a special education liaison with active participation and knowledge transfer between local education agencies in Region 13, Region 13, the statewide network of liaisons, and the Texas Education Agency.
- Provide a suite of initiatives and supports as well as manage data and projects that have potential in the field for both educators and /or high immediate impact for students with disabilities
- Assist local education agencies with the alignment of general education and special education programs and/or services to ensure the advancement in the achievement of students with disabilities
- Bachelor's Degree in Special Education or related field (required)
- Master’s Degree in Special Education or related field (preferred)
- Certification in Special Education (Texas preferred) or license/certificate in related field (required)
- Five (5) years recent special education or related experience working in a Local Education Agency, Education Service Center, or Texas Education Agency
- Experience in self-directed work
- Experience developing and conducting presentations for small and large groups (preferred)
- Experience as a campus administrator (preferred)
- Minimum of five years in a local education agency, regional education service center, or Texas Education Agency leadership position.
- Program development and project management in special education and general education programs as an educator, and/or administrator, with quantifiable and clear results for student achievement.
- Leading collaborative teams and facilitating adults.
- Facilitating data driven processes that analyzed data effectively to inform necessary change.
- Effective written and verbal communication, collaboration, and learning from multiple sources paired with the ability to reflect strong leadership capacity.
- Developing and providing professional development.
- Developing virtual trainings
- Collaborate and actively participate with ESC Region 13 teams across departments and divisions to improve student performance and to meet the established goals and objectives of ESC Region 13 and TEA
- Participate as a member of the Region 13’s Federal and Special Programs Component in analyzing data for all local education agencies within the region related to special education, inclusive of significant disproportionality
- Participate as a member of the Compliance Team, and Special Education Team to implement the Region 13 Special Education Plan
- Deliver or facilitate regional professional development and support to LEAs regarding special education monitoring procedures and expectations, including review preparation and post-review follow-up, in coordination with TEA’s Department of Review & Support; and School, Family, Community Engagement (SFCE) initiative activities in coordination with ESC leads and TEA’s SFCE program manager.
- Successfully embed Design Thinking and 4 Disciplines of Execution (4DX) processes to meet goals outlined in ESC Special Education Liaison Grant performance measures 1 and 2.
- Attend all required Austin ESC Liaison weeks and participate in feedback loops and collaborative activities that connect policy and practice statewide.
- Working primarily with LEA special education and campus leaders, identify target LEA needs relevant to students receiving special education services and supports and connect them to supports and resources that effectively meet those needs.
- Working primarily with LEA special education and campus leaders, increase the knowledge, skills, and motivation of LEA teams to analyze data relevant to students receiving special education services and supports; identify a problem; reflect critically on end-user input, root causes and potential solutions; create a plan for improvement that includes sustainability of progress; and maintain a cadence of internal accountability.
- Manage the metrics and deliverables for this grant and report those to the Director Academic Services at ESC Region 13 and Texas Education Agency as requested
- Represent Region 13 at meetings, conferences, and committees as appropriate.
- Serve as representative of ESC Region 13, displaying courtesy, tact, consideration and discretion in all interactions with other members of the educational community and with the public
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Director, Academic Services and/or the Executive Director
- Proficiency with PC computers to include desktop management, operations, and working on a network environment
- Proficiency with standard functions of Microsoft Excel, PowerPoint, and Word,
- Proficiency with virtual platforms
- General office equipment to include copiers, printers, and video-conferencing equipment
- Travel independently
- Frequent travel in region
- Some statewide travel
- Competing demands for services
- Lift and carry up to 20 pound
- Prolonged or irregular hours
- High volume of communication
Frequently asked questions:
- What are my opportunities for development and advancement at Region 13? We budget in professional development for you to learn new skills and stay current with the industry. This could include attending conferences and/or enrolling in online courses. New or advanced positions are generally added based on workload growth and statewide budget decisions.
- What types of benefits does Region 13 offer? Region 13 employees pay into Teacher Retirement System of Texas (www.trs.texas.gov) and social security. Aetna is our primary healthcare provider and we offer supplemental benefits for vision, dental, etc. We offset the cost of this healthcare with a substantial employer contribution.
- How much time off does Region 13 offer? Region 13 is closed for about 25 days in observance of major holidays. Employees also receive 10 vacation days, 10 personal leave days, and 3 optional holidays. We are a 7am-6pm organization with an 8 hour work day within that timeframe, but we honor a healthy work-life balance.
Education Service Center Region 13
5701 Springdale Road, Austin, TX 78723
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $10,068
% ELL Students
State Average: 17%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 15.26
% IEP Students
State Average: 9%
State Average: 558