Part-Time High School Guidance Counselor
St. Edward Central Catholic High School School Counselor
The school counselor is directly accountable to the Superintendent/Principal. The Superintendent/Principal delegates to the school counselor the responsibility of guidance counseling of students and well as admission and registration of freshmen students and transfer students.
The school counselor position begins each school year two weeks before the first day of school and ends two weeks after the last day for underclassmen students.
Desired Characteristics of the School Counselor
- Supports and upholds the mission and values of the Catholic Church
- Demonstrates personal, professional, and more integrity
- Maintains confidentiality with all matters regarding the school
- Demonstrates a strong commitment to St. Edward Central Catholic School and its mission
- Exhibits knowledge of the St. Edward Community, its goals, objectives, and plans
- Builds and fosters positive relationships with all stakeholders in the school community
- Communicates effectively and respectfully with all stakeholders
- Works with the school administration, communicating regularly regarding student, parent, and faculty concerns
- Meets with students during the year in guidance and counseling capacity to address their academic, career, and personal/social needs
- Keeps anecdotal records for student appointments
- Assists the Director of Counseling in administering the ACT testing each school year as assigned. Is responsible for assisting with communications to parents and students regarding the assigned test and conducts follow-ups concerning the interpretation of the test
- Assists the Director of Counseling in the administering the PreACT or PSAT fall testing as assigned. Is responsible for assisting with communications to parents and students regarding the assigned test and conducts follow-ups concerning the interpretation of the test
- Assists the Director of Counseling with the administration of the Advanced Placement exams in May
- Reviews academic grades at midpoint during each grading period and meets with students whose grades are below average
- Reviews failure reports at the end of each grading period and meets with students who have failures regarding their progress and offers support for future grading periods, course make-up, etc.
- Guides students into correct sequences of courses and decisions about future plans
- Registers students in February for the coming year’s classes as determined by course recommendations
- Helps in providing motivation and incentives to encourage students to gain the most from their educational experiences
- Helps Director of Counseling in reviewing needs of struggling learners and coordinates input and guidance to students, parents, and teachers.
- Seeks enrichment for professional growth by attending workshops and conferences throughout the year
- Maintains a high level of visibility in order to be known by students, parents and others in an effort to create a good rapport with the various constituencies
- With the Director of Counseling and Director of Enrollment, oversees the admissions process including communication with potential families, developing and maintaining relationships with applicant families throughout the admissions process
- With the Director of Counseling, oversees the administration of the High School Placement Test (HSPT) for incoming freshmen
- With the Director of Counseling and Director of Enrollment, manages follow-up communication with junior high schools for placement recommendations and files for incoming freshmen, securing necessary student records and coordinating with guidance for course registrations and scheduling
- Compiles HSPT results for guidance and prepare files for registration of incoming freshmen
- Oversees and manages the registration of incoming freshmen and transfer students
- Manages communications with high schools for placement recommendations and files for transfer students, securing necessary student records
- Assumes any other tasks as may be assigned from time to time by the Superintendent/Principal