Bilingual Teacher Assistant Program (BTAP) Pool 2020-2021
Bilingual Teacher Assistant Program (BTAP) Pool 2020-2021
Location: To be determined
Duty Days: Up to 14.5 hours per week
This is a grant-funded position
Pay: Qualification Hourly Rate
No Degree/90 college hours 17.00
No Degree/60 college hours 15.00
No Degree/30 college hours 12.00
No Degree/less than 30 college hours 10.00
Minimum Required Qualifications
- Education: Enrolled in an EC-6 (early childhood through grade six) Bilingual Education Program.
- Additional Requirement: Must maintain a College semester GPA of 3.0 to be in good standing with BTAP.
- Education: Accredited High School diploma, GED, or Texas Certificate of High School Equivalency required; see Highly Qualified section below for additional requirements.
- Experience: 6 months FWISD-approved experience working with students or parents; see Highly Qualified section below for additional requirements.
- Must have satisfied one of the following requirements:
- 48 or more college hours from accredited college or university, OR
- Pass the ParaEducator Training with a score of 75 or better.
- Obtain an Educational Aide Certificate.
- Language: Bilingual (oral and written) proficiency required in English/Spanish as demonstrated by the Fort Worth ISD Language Proficiency Test (LPT).
- Additional Requirements:
- High School GPA of 3.5.
- Must be enrolled in six (6) or more college hours at the time of placement, in an EC-6 (early childhood through grade six) Bilingual Education Program.
- Must maintain a College semester GPA of 3.0 to be in good standing with BTAP.
The goal of the Bilingual Teacher Assistant Program is to increase the number of high need teachers in the Fort Worth ISD by encouraging bilingual individuals to pursue and acquire teaching credentials in elementary bilingual education. BTAPs will be placed in Dual Language Immersion classrooms to assist the bilingual teacher in all phases of the educational process and give students the opportunity for maximum development and growth through suitable learning activities. Upon graduation from college, the BTAP student will be eligible to teach for Fort Worth ISD as a bilingual educator in a high needs setting.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
- Translates and interprets for students and parents/guardians in English and Spanish.
- Plans, organizes, manages, and implements instructional activities under the direction and guidance of the teacher.
- Assists in lesson plan development.
- Assists with record keeping.
- Monitors children and reports progress to teacher.
- Attends all BTAP trainings.
- Attends in-service, team, and faculty meetings when requested by administrator.
- Conducts individualized and small group instruction as directed by the dual language teacher.
- Maintains strict confidence pertaining to students or school personnel regarding privileged information.
- Performs other instructional duties as assigned.
- Maintains professional standards in conduct, dress, language and punctuality.
- Approves weekly hours worked in Kronos and submits time sheets to BTAP Coordinator for verification.
- Must maintain a 3.0 semester GPA to be in good standing with BTAP.
Personal Work Relationships
- All Fort Worth ISD employees must maintain a commitment to the District’s mission, vision, and strategic goals.
- Exhibits high professionalism, standards of conduct and work ethic.
- Demonstrates high quality customer service; builds rapport/relationship with the consumer.
- Demonstrates cultural competence in interactions with others; is respectful of co-workers; communicates and acts as a team player; promotes teamwork. Responds and acts appropriately in confrontational situations.
Other Duties as Assigned
- Performs all job related duties as assigned and in accordance to the Board rules, policies and regulations. All employees are expected to comply with lawful directives in rare situations driven by need where a team effort is required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Knowledge of classroom techniques and professional etiquette.
- Skill in actively looking for ways to help people.
- Skill in interpersonal relationships, including using tact, patience, and courtesy.
- Ability to support instructing, reading, writing, and mathematics.
- Ability to carry out instructions furnished in written or oral form by mentor teachers or BTAP Coordinator.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality of information regarding students, employees and others.
- Ability to work with diverse groups of individuals.
- Ability to establish a supportive and compassionate relationship with students with special needs.
- Ability to work effectively and patiently with children.
- Ability to work cooperatively with school personnel and parents.
- Ability to use software to access databases, email, and status work assignments.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both oral and written forms.
- Ability to engage in self-evaluation with regard to performance and professional growth.
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Travel between schools, or between schools and central offices, may be required for certain positions.
Physical & Mental Demands, Work Hazards
- Tools/Equipment Used: Standard office equipment, including computer and peripherals; standard instructional equipment.
- Posture: Prolonged sitting and standing; occasional stooping, squatting, kneeling, bending, pushing/pulling, and twisting.
- Motion: Frequent repetitive hand motions, including keyboarding and use of mouse and reaching; frequent walking, including walking with a sense of urgency.
- Lifting: Regular light lifting and carrying (less than 15 pounds); may lift and move textbooks and classroom equipment.
- Environment: Works in a standard office setting and school building environment; works inside, may work outside; regular exposure to noise; regularly required to listen and speak; may require occasional irregular and/or prolonged hours.
- Attendance: Regular and punctual attendance at the worksite is required for this position
- Mental Demands: Maintains emotional control under stress; works with frequent interruptions; may require occasional irregular and/or prolonged hours.