3 Hour Food Service
VANDALIA-BUTLER CITY SCHOOL DISTRICT
Title: FOOD SERVICE COOK File 802
Reports to: Food Service Supervisor and Food Service Manager
Job Objective: Prepares and serves meals. Maintains high standards that support the effective delivery of quality food services. Maintains an orderly and sanitary kitchen.
Minimum · High school diploma.
Qualifications: · Meets all mandated health requirements (e.g., a negative tuberculosis test, etc.).
· A record free of criminal violations that would prohibit public school employment.
· Complies with drug-free workplace rules and all board policies.
· Keeps current with advances in technology and workplace innovations that enhance productivity.
· Food production skills and the ability to use commercial kitchen equipment.
· Successful completion of a board-approved sanitation/food safety course.
· Ability to comply with nutrition, health, and safety laws/regulations.
· Ability to accurately measure, weigh, and adjust recipe ingredients.
Essential The following are typical work responsibilities. A reasonable accommodation may be made to
Functions: enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform essential functions.
· Checks/confirms assignments. Carefully follows directions. Seeks advice when expectations are unclear. Takes the initiative to perform routine tasks independently.
· Complies with all food service operation rules and regulations outlined in the Ohio Uniform Code.
· Upholds board policies and follows administrative guidelines/procedures. Refers district policy/procedure questions to administrators/supervisors.
· Advances the professional image of the school district. Maintains open/effective communications. Uses problem-solving techniques to tactfully address questions/concerns.
· Facilitates community partnerships and school-sponsored activities that enhance student learning.
· Carefully uses products and supplies to control costs and reduce waste. Records food usage on production records. Advises a supervisor about the need for additional supplies.
· Assists with the receipt of deliveries. Follows approved food safety procedures. Verifies quantities. Reports shortages and spoiled products. Organizes, stores, dates, and rotates stock as directed.
· Follows the published menus. Prepares meals for students with dietary restrictions as directed
· Uses standardized recipes to maintain quality control. Monitors production sheets.
· Monitors compliance with district specifications and mandated regulations (e.g., hazard analysis of critical control points, portion size, sanitation procedures, etc.). Monitors temperature controls.
· Assists other staff as needed to deal with unexpected or urgent situations.
· Sets up serving lines. Assists with the attractive presentation of food. Replenishes supplies to maintain an orderly flow of customers. Promptly provides substitute menu items as needed.
· Operates the cash register as directed. Ensures that money is exchanged correctly. Monitors students to help maintain orderly behavior. Does not leave the cash register unattended.
· Accounts for all lunches. Submits records to the food service office.
· Operates the dishwasher. Monitors water temperature to ensure proper sanitizing cycle.
· Follows established sanitization procedures to properly wash dishes in three compartment sink.
· Cleans/sanitizes work surfaces, equipment, serving lines, kitchen floors, dining tables, etc.
· Ensures that leftover food, kitchen supplies, and equipment are properly stored.
· Helps with special district events (e.g., banquets, etc.). Assists rental groups as directed.
· Secures equipment/work areas as directed.
· Reports discipline problems, vandalism, graffiti, equipment malfunctions, and other concerns.
· Upholds the student conduct code. Maintains high expectations for behavior and performance.
· Takes precautions to ensure safety. Monitors situations that may indicate a problem. Works with supervisors to manage or eliminate risk factors.
· Prepares for fire, health, and safety inspections. Learns how to operate fire/safety equipment. Documents all injuries that require medical attention.
· Respects personal privacy. Maintains the confidentiality of privileged information.
· Reports suspected child abuse and/or neglect to civil authorities as required by law.
· Participates in staff meetings and professional growth opportunities as directed.
· Strives to develop rapport and serves as a positive role model for others.
· Maintains a professional appearance. Wears work attire appropriate for the position.
· Performs other specific job-related duties as directed.
Abilities The following personal characteristics and skills are important for the successful performance
Required: of assigned duties.
· Acknowledges personal accountability for decisions and conduct.
· Demonstrates professionalism and contributes to a positive work/learning environment.
· Differentiates subtle variances in aroma, color, taste, and texture.
· Effectively uses active listening, observation, reading, verbal, nonverbal, and writing skills.
· Maintains an acceptable attendance record and is punctual.
· Performs duties efficiently with limited supervision. Meets deadlines despite time constraints.
· Prepares accurate and timely paperwork. Verifies and correctly enters data.
· Reacts productively to interruptions and changing conditions.
Working To promote safety, employees are expected to exercise caution and comply with safety regulations
Conditions: and district policies/procedures when involved in the following situations/conditions.
· Balancing, bending, crouching, kneeling, reaching, and standing.
· Exposure to adverse weather conditions and temperature extremes.
· Exposure to air-borne particulates, chemical irritants, combustible materials, electrical hazards, equipment vibrations, noises, and odors. Exposure to wet and/or slippery surfaces.
· Exposure to blood-borne pathogens and communicable diseases.
· Interactions with aggressive, disruptive, and/or unruly individuals.
· Lifting, carrying, and moving work-related supplies/equipment.
· Operating and/or riding in a vehicle.
· Performing repetitive tasks quickly.
· Performing tasks that require strenuous physical exertion.
· Traveling to meetings and work assignments.
· Working in proximity to moving mechanical parts.
Performance Job performance is evaluated according to policy provisions and contractual agreements adopted
Evaluation: by the Vandalia-Butler School District Board of Education.
The Vandalia-Butler School District Board of Education is an equal opportunity employer. This job description identifies general responsibilities and is not intended to be a complete list of all duties performed. This document is subject to change in response to student demographics, staffing factors, funding variables, modified operating procedures, and other unforeseen events. Rev. 7/07