Special Education Teacher - ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder)
Provide instruction to ensure that each student makes progress toward individual stated goals using multi-sensory strategies and varied teaching techniques by performing the following duties:
- Plan curriculum and prepare lessons and other instructional materials according to achievement levels of students.
- Provide direct instruction and supervision of students within school/community setting.
- Confer with parents, administrators, testing specialists, social workers and others to develop individual educational programs for students who are at different learning ability levels.
- Attend MET, IEPT and/or IFSP meetings.
- Instruct students in academic subjects, utilizing various teaching techniques.
- Instruct students in daily living skills required for independent living and economic self-sufficiency such as hygiene, safety and food preparation.
- Observe, evaluate and prepare reports on progress of students.
- Meet with parents to provide support and guidance in using community resources.
- Administer and interpret results of ability and achievement tests.
- Assist in the supervision of paraprofessionals.
- Other duties as assigned.
Bachelor’s degree. K-12 Michigan Teaching Certification; Autistic Impaired Endorsement. Embraces and supports KRESA philosophies related to diversity, inclusiveness and anti-racism. Ability to interact effectively with individuals from a wide range of cultures. Ability to discuss cultural differences with colleagues and clients. Ability to assess one’s own strengths and limitations or challenges and integrate this understanding into interpersonal interactions.
Ability to select and develop appropriate methods, skills and techniques attuned to people's cultural, multicultural or marginal experiences in their environments. Ability to effectively employ multicultural approaches in resolving problems.
Apply online at www.kresa.org/jobs
Kalamazoo RESA is an Equal Opportunity Employer/Program.
Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals.
Notice of Non-discrimination: It is the policy of Kalamazoo Regional Educational Service Agency that no discriminating practices based on race, color, national origin, sex (including sexual orientation or sexual identity), disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information or any other legally protected category be allowed during any program, activity, service or in employment. The following positions at Kalamazoo RESA have been designated to handle inquiries regarding the nondiscrimination policy: Assistant Superintendents- Tom Zahrt & Mindy Miller. Contact information: 269-250-9200, 1819 E. Milham Ave, Portage, MI 49002.