Hearing Impaired Paraprofessional - Millwood Elementary School
QUALIFICATIONS: Minimum educational level of sixty semester hours or ninety quarter hours. Such alternatives to the above qualifications as the Sumter School District Board of Trustees may find appropriate and acceptable.
REPORTS TO: Princpal
- Assists deaf and hard of hearing students in academic and nonacademic activities, individually or in groups as well as deaf or hard of hearing staff and parents (e.g. classroom instruction, non-captioned movies, tests, library, computer lab, recess, sports, music, assemblies, special events, after school activities, etc.) for the purpose of presenting and/or reinforcing learning concepts.
- Implements, under the supervision of assigned teacher, instructional/behavioral programs and lesson plans for the purpose of assisting the teacher in improving students' academic and life skill success through a defined course of study.
- Interprets at various meetings as may be requested (e.g. IEP, individual teacher/parent conferences, etc.) for the purpose of receiving and/or conveying information with deaf or hard of hearing participants.
- Interprets or transliterates all language necessary for student’s education for the purpose of facilitating effective communication.
- Monitors individual students for the purpose of providing assistance as needed and ensuring a quiet, safe and positive learning environment.
- Participates in meetings (e.g. staff inservice, workshops, etc.) for the purpose of receiving or conveying information related to serving the general goals of education to the deaf or hard of hearing.
- Prepares for daily classroom lectures and activities (e.g. set up for speaker, reviewmaterials ahead of lectures, etc.) for the purpose of ensuring a clear understanding and interpretation.
- Provides support/tutoring to the deaf or hard of hearing student for the purpose of facilitating communication and/or reinforcing classroom objectives.
- Responds to inquiries from administrators, teachers and other staff for the purpose of providing information or referring to appropriate personnel.
- Tutors deaf or hard of hearing students in a variety of subjects for the purpose of supplementing daily classroom learning and promoting student success.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by this employee. Employees will be required to follow any other instructions and to perform any other related duties as assigned by the Principal or appropriate administrator. Sumter School District reserves the right to update, revise or change this job description or application deadline at any time for the efficient operation of the district.
Sumter School District is an equal opportunity employer.