Paraprofessional Special Education
Department: School Campus
Reports to: Student Services Coordinator
Placement: Salary Schedule
Paraprofessional I Grade 5
Paraprofessional II Grade 7
Term: See Duty Day Calendar
Full-Time: 35 hours per week
The Paraprofessional position assists, supports, and works closely with teachers, administrators and other team members in providing educational assistance to students.
- Assist the teacher with instruction of students on a one-to-one basis or in a small group setting to
- reinforce skills initially introduced by the teacher.
- Assist in the preparation of instructional materials and assessments as needed under the supervision of
- the teacher to meet individual student goals and state standards.
- Assist the teacher with the maintenance of student records, such as attendance, grades, progress reports,
- conference reports.
- Assists with supervision of students.
- Assist the teacher to implement the Individualized Education Plan (IEP) objectives (if applicable)
- Assist students in completing physical tasks as specified in the student’s IEP (if applicable). Such tasks
- may include but are not limited to: grooming, dressing, toileting, diapering, mobility, feeding, general
- cleansing, and dealing with blood or other human fluids.
- Provide job coaching and delivery of instruction related to functional living skills as specified in student
- IEP. Transports students to supplemental activities such as community and extra-curricular programs as
- specified in student IEP.
- If required, obtain and maintain documentation of services to students under the Direct Service Claim (DSC)
- program in a timely manner (if applicable)
- Ensures that all work is completed in accordance with District policy and applicable state and federal laws.
- Performs any other duties as assigned by supervisor.
Training and Experience:
- Experience working directly with students in a high school instructional setting preferred.
- High School Diploma or GED plus one of the following items preffered:
o 60 college credit hours on official transcripts
o Associate’s degree or higher on official transcripts
- Valid CPR, First Aide, and Crisis Prevention Intervention certification (if applicable). This training is provided by the District.
- Word processing, filing, collating, and the duplication of various materials.
- Providing services to medically fragile students with needs requiring specialized equipment and training. Such tasks may include but are not limited to: ileostomy and urostomy bags, tube feeding, respiratory devices, seizure and medication management, etc.
ADA and Other Requirements:
Positions in this class typically require: climbing, crawling, stooping, kneeling, crouching, fingering, standing, walking, pushing, reaching, lifting, feeling, talking, hearing, seeing, and repetitive motions.
Sedentary Work: Exerting up to10 pounds of force occasionally and/or a negligible amount of force frequently or constantly to lift, carry, push, pull or otherwise move objects. Sedentary work involves sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
When duties and responsibilities change and develop, this job description will be reviewed and subject to changes of business necessity.