School Nurse - 2020/2021 SY
The Mission of the school health program provided through the Danbury Public Schools is to protect and improve the health and educational success, and therefore enhance the quality of life of students and the school community who serve them. This is accomplished by the advancement of school nursing practice through a comprehensive school health program that focuses on prevention, detection, education, and resolution of health problems.
- Serves as a member of the school team as the designated health professional, (e.g. Planning and Placement Team, 504 Team, Crisis Team.)
- Maintains accurate, comprehensive, well-organized records, logs, surveys, and reports in keeping with requirements of the State of Connecticut, and policies of the Danbury Board of Education.
- Confers with parents, students, teachers, support staff and other professionals to interpret health and developmental assessments. Monitors students with special needs for the purpose of maintaining them in the school setting.
- Supervises compliance with Connecticut State mandated physical examinations and immunization requirements.
- Coordinates the administration of prescribed medications and treatments for students in school and/or school sponsored activities. Responsible for training designated staff in medication administration in accordance with Connecticut State regulations.
- Performs vision, hearing, and postural screenings as per Connecticut State regulations and makes referrals and follow-up on any deviations from normal.
- Writes individual health care plans (IHCP) for students with special needs and incorporates them into IEP and 504 plans when indicated.
- Conducts annual in-service trainings for staff, including OSHA Blood Borne Pathogens and Infection Control. Serves as a resource to teachers, and administrators in information related to health promotion and disease prevention.
- Remains current with the school nursing profession through participation in professional development, and is knowledgeable of State of Connecticut laws pertaining to immunizations, medication administration, health records, and other health related issues.
- Provides health care treatment and/or emergency services to injured or ill students and staff.
- Assists families as necessary in obtaining a medical home, HUSKY state health insurance, needed immunizations, dental care or other health related needs.
- Attends staff meetings as scheduled and performs other nursing duties or professional tasks as required.
- A valid State of Connecticut RN license to practice professional nursing
- BSN preferred, but not required
- Current CPR certification
- Minimum of 1 years of clinical nursing experience, preferably in pediatrics and/or community health.
Apply Online at http://www.danbury.k12.ct.us