Reports To: Building Principal
Contract Days: 261
FLSA Status: NON-Exempt
Pay Scale: Support Staff 1 (MCGR 1) (Day Custodian-Before 7-1-2014), Support Staff 1 (MCGR 2) (Night Custodian-Before 7-1-2014), Support Staff 2 (S3) (All-After 7-1-2014)
Education: High School Diploma or GED preferred, but not required
Experience: Custodial experience preferred, but not required.
Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities: Good communication skills; ability to work alone; knowledge of cleaning machines; must be able to lift and move 50 lbs. continuously; must be able to sit, stand, walk, bend, and stretch for extended periods.
Primary Function: The custodian is responsible for keeping assigned building(s) clean, safe, functional, and secure in accordance with prescribed codes and established district policies and standards. A custodial worker must maintain all assigned building(s) in a state of operational excellence such as that they present no interruptions, distractions, or obstacles to the education program.
- Perform regular custodial duties in assigned area(s) of building(s).
- Accept instructions from supervisor/principal(s) verbal or written.
- Provide services as necessary to support curricular and extracurricular events
- Maintain inventory of custodial /maintenance supplies and equipment.
- Restock disposable custodial/maintenance items and provide supervisor/assistance with inventory usage data.
- Clean and preserve designated spaces, equipment, furniture, and etc. in
- Maintain work related records and prepare work records as directed.
- Project a positive image at all times for the school district with his/her team,
No foul Language is permitted.
- Exhibit interpersonal skills as an effective team member.
- Demonstrate support for the school system and its goals and priorities.
- Work closely with the supervisor/principal(s)/building administrator(s) to be
- Maintain building and grounds security by opening/closing the building each
administration or his/her designee and lock all outside doors as soon as school
activities are over.
- Do not allow visitor(s) / family(s) in building(s) during assigned work schedule.
- Accept other duties as assigned by the supervisor/principal(s) or his/her
- Check daily schedule to see if any special equipment must be set up.
- Perform general clean-up and for any incidents.
- Inspect entrance(s) and sidewalks for damage/ clutter/dirt/malfunction, or
- Inspect outside and pick up all areas after all events or as directed.
- Vacuum all entrances mats, and clean sidewalk up to ten feet from
- Wet mop inside of entrance(s) if wet or in bad condition.
- Sweep all stairways.
- Machine vacuum all carpeted corridors, walkways, and ten feet from doorway
- Clip all sprigs as necessary.
- Remove all spots from carpet.
- Extract soiled areas on carpets as needed.
- Remove gum from floors.
- Dust mop and sweep corners of all tiled classrooms and adjacent rooms. Wet
- Spot vacuum all classrooms, offices, and other carpeted areas. Pick up any
- Make sure rooms appear orderly.
- Empty all trash cans and clean as needed.
- Put all trash in dumpsters.
- Remove all marks from wall and lockers nightly.
- Replace all defected light bulbs as needed.
- Wash all main entrance windows.
- Thoroughly clean all surfaces in restrooms.
- Clean all drinking fountains.
- Close and lock windows and doors as instructed.
- Clean all equipment after use including mop buckets and custodians sinks.
- Hang up all brooms/dust mops and wet mops. Do not stand them up against
- Clean and straighten janitor’s closets.
- Keep shelves and supplies in neat order and stock with supplies.
- Turn in all items found to the office/lost and found department.
- Check all areas for vandalism and report to the supervisor/principal(s).
- Assist other custodians with any cleanup from daily duties or any events.
- Wax floors as needed.
- Wash all desktops, chairs, and furniture according to schedule.
- Dust everything in rooms and corridors according to schedule.
- Clean all windows as needed and according to schedule.
- Clean molding according to schedule.
- Clean blackboards/marker boards/chalkboard rails according to schedule.
- Clean display cases as needed.
- Check all furniture/playground equipment for damage and report to the
- Vacuum and clean all intakes/exhaust vents monthly.
- Clean all doors especially around door knobs.
- Lunchroom clean-up as instructed.
- The custodian should except to move, operate and clean various manually powered brooms, mops, vacuums, dusting tools, as well as mechanically powered waxing and buffing equipment.
- He/she will be expected to climb and work from ladders as necessary. The custodian will also handle and apply chemical cleaning agents, some which may be toxic if handled improperly. All custodians will go thru training with regards to equipment and chemical use.
- To successfully perform the duties of this job the employees are required to stand; walk; use hands and fingers to handle or feel objects, tools, or controls; and give and receive oral and written instructions. The employees frequently are required to reach with hands and arms. The employees are occasionally required to sit and squat, stoop, or kneel, to reach above the head, and to reach forward. The employees frequently use hand strength to grasp tools and rungs of ladders. The employees will frequently bend or twist at the neck and trunk more than an average person while performing the duties of this job.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds, including cleaning supplies, pails, and bags/boxes. Occasionally the employee will lift up to 80 pounds, including bags of salt and furniture. The employees will sometimes push or pull items such as tables, bleachers; scrubbing machines and etc. this job requires close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
- The custodians are evaluated by the building principal on an annual basis.