EC Teacher Assistant
Pitt County Schools Job Description
Exceptional Children's Teacher Assistant/Bus Driver
Report To: District Staff and Classroom Teacher
Term of Employment: 10 Months
Performance Evaluation: Performance to be evaluated annually by the school principal Education/Qualifications: Associate’s Degree or 2 years (min. 64 semester hrs.) of higher education Computer Skills Must be eligible for school bus driver’s license (CDL).
EC Teacher Assistant Responsibilities:
1. Assist the teacher in implementing each child’s Individual Education Program goals and objectives.
2. Assist in planning and preparing the learning environment, setting up centers, and preparing needed materials and supplies.
3. Assist and supervise students during their internships throughout the school year.
4. Conduct learning exercises with small groups of students.
5. Guide students in developing positive relationships with peers and adults.
6. Assist with the supervision of students to ensure safety at all times.
7. Alert the teacher to special needs of individual students.
8. Collect and display suitable material for educational displays.
9. Develop materials and group lessons to meet instructional objectives determined by the teacher.
10. Correct students’ work under the teacher’s supervision and participate in mid-internship progress review meetings
11. Participate in discipline procedures and prescribe consequences for student behavior under teacher supervision.
12. Assist the teacher in devising special strategies for reinforcing behavior or academic skills.
13. Serve as the chief source of information and help to any substitute teacher assigned in the absence of the teacher.
14. Help with general housekeeping tasks and to maintain a neat and organized classroom.
15. Maintain confidentiality, especially regarding student information.
16. Follow appropriate communication lines to discuss concerns- i.e.- teacher, principal, EC Program Staff.
17. Adhere to all policies of school and district.
18. Participate in Project SEARCH monthly committee meetings.
19. Maintain bus license and accept bus driver assignments as needed.
20. Perform other duties as assigned by the classroom teacher and the building administrators.