Part Time Administrative Assistant
REPORTS TO: SCHOOL DIRECTOR
The job of School Administrative Assistant is to provide support to school-site staff and supporting the broad array of services provided to students, parents and/or guardians, counselors, support employees, school board members and management.
EMPLOYMENT MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS:
- Four (4) year Degree supplemented by, or including courses in, office organization or clerical skills, personnel support, or any combination of training and/or experience that provides the desired skills, knowledge and abilities preferred OR Minimum of four (4) years of progressively responsible secretarial experience and office operations.
- High level of computer proficiency with Microsoft Word, Excel and other computer databases
- Experience with charter schools, education or non-profit work is preferred
- Ability to multitask and focus despite constant interruptions
- Accurate typing of at least 50 w.p.m. preferred
- Punctuality and good attendance
- Dress and grooming as indicated per SAM Board Policy
- Adheres to all SAM, federal, state and local laws and regulations
- Appropriate criminal records check by the Ohio Bureau of Criminal Identification and Investigation and/or Federal Bureau of Investigation
- Ability to establish and maintain working relationships with all employees
JOB REQUIREMENTS: SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES
- SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a need to occasionally upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skills required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: operating standard office equipment including pertinent software applications; and preparing and maintaining accurate records.
- KNOWLEDGE is required to perform mathematics; read a variety of manuals, follow policies and procedures, write documents following prescribed formats, and/or present information to others; and solve practical problems. Specific knowledge required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job includes: concepts of grammar and punctuation.
- ABILITY is required to schedule a significant number of activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and use basic, job-related equipment. Flexibility is required to independently work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operates equipment using defined methods. Ability is also required to work with diverse and low income individuals; work with specific, job-related data; and utilize specific, job-related equipment. In working with others, independent problem-solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data required\s independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is limited. Specific abilities required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adapting to changing work priorities; communicating with diverse groups; maintaining confidentiality; meeting deadlines and schedules; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with constant and sustained interruptions; and working with detailed information/data.
- With direction from the school director, compose a variety of materials such as letters, bulletins, reports and statistical data from rough drafts or oral instructions.
- Prepares and maintains documents, files, records and reports (e.g. letters to parents, new student enrollments, student withdrawal, immunization records, etc.) for the purpose of providing up-to-date reference and audit trail for compliance.
- Proficient in ProgressBook Suite, ODDEX, Online Registration and FileBound
- Maintains confidentiality of business, personnel and student matters.
- Opens mail and distributes to appropriate personnel.
- Evaluates situations (e.g. involving staff, students, parents, the public, etc.) for the purpose of taking approved appropriate actions and/or directing to appropriate personnel for resolution.
- Maintains an up-to-date filing system. All files including student, staff, and special education files are to be kept locked and confidential. A sign out sheet should be on the side of each file for approved personnel to sign files in/out as needed.
- Maintains student attendance records, keeping the Director informed as to extended absences and tardiness. Working with the Director to make sure we are in accordance with the attendance policies of Summit Academy and the State of Ohio.
- Handles incoming and outbound telephone calls and records messages accurately.
- Orders and maintains supplies as needed.
- Performs bookkeeping tasks associated with the specific position (e.g. material fees collected and any other monetary transactions).
- Maintains a schedule of appointments and makes arrangements for conferences and interviews. Including but not limited to IEP/MFE parent meetings, parent/teacher conferences and all other appointments deemed necessary for the proper running of the school.
- Welcomes visitors, arranges for their comfort and screens unexpected visitors/callers in accordance with pre-determined building policy.
- Oversees the school infirmary which includes director/parent notifications/updates, receipt for approval to dispense prescribed medication signed by parent and medical doctor, distribution of medication to students, and maintaining a log of daily activities.
- Collects, organizes, and compiles weekly and bi-weekly payroll summary sheets; this would include hourly, salary, substitute and part-time employees. Also tracks personal, sick and vacation time taken by school staff, compiling attendance Calendar sheet to be submitted to HR at Summit Academy Management when requested.
- Promotes wholesome intraschool and school-community relations.
- Attend staff meetings, parent conferences, student orientations and/or Board of Directors meetings and to act as recorder as requested.
- Monitors door and security system (if applicable) as well as weather alert system.
- Communicates with Help Desk for repairs on building or equipment when necessary.
- Communicates with other school districts regarding exchange of information (i.e., sending as well as obtaining student files, transportation issues).
- Prepares various reports as requested (i.e., Ohio Department of Education, local school districts, EMIS, etc.) in a timely and accurate manner.
- Responds to inquiries from a variety of internal and external parties (e.g. staff, parents, students, public agencies, visitors, etc.) for the purpose of providing information, facilitating communication among parties and/or providing direction.
- Coordinates transportation, box lunches, parent involvement and departure/return times for field trips per approved policy.
- Complies and submits CN6 and CN7 for the school lunch program in a timely manner.
- Protect the good name of Summit Academy Management.
- Possess knowledge of current state and federal laws and regulations regarding student and employee records, including confidentiality requirements.
- Has knowledge of and complies with all SAM Policies and Procedures
- Be knowledgeable of all contractual agreements with employees insofar as the contract affects work assignment.
- Provides routine orientation to and provide schedules for certified and non-certified staff.
- Performs other duties as directed by the School Director and/or administration.
- Works in conjunction with Human Resources regarding all personnel changes, including but not limited to new hires, resignations, FMLA request, Workers Compensation, etc.
- All other responsibilities as set forth by the School Director and CEO.