Tournament Coach - Policy Debate
Compensation: There are two positions available, based on tournament attendance, see below in “Tournament Attendance.”.
E Stipend ($5,134 base); One position is available.
H Stipend ($3,057 base); One position is available.
Paid in 3 installments in November, February, and May.
Payments may be prorated to align with hours completed.
Supervisors: Head Coaches and Director of Curriculum and Instruction
The Tournament Coach will coach and supervise New Trier Speech and Debate students and serve as a judge at local, regional, or national tournaments. There is frequently travel involved. Tournaments usually occur on weekends and can run 1 to 4 days. Tournament Coaches coordinate their individual schedules with the Head Coach to balance personal and professional schedules.
- Experience in Speech and Debate competition.
- An understanding of tournament procedure and protocol.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with peers and supervisors.
- A valid driver’s license.
- Previous coaching/mentoring job experience is preferred.
- A background in research and evidence production for debate argumentation is preferred.
- Work with the Head Coaches of the Speech and Debate program to supervise, mentor, and guide students as they develop their debate abilities.
- Contribute feedback to students and coaches regarding debate performance, argumentation, and overall conduct.
- Support appropriate student behavior as outlined in the Student Guidebook.
- Provide research material, evidence, and arguments for student use as assigned by the Head Coaches.
- Engage in professional communication with students to critique, refine, and comment on student work.
- Guide and develop student growth in the areas of argument construction, research, delivery, and strategic thinking.
- Observe New Trier students while in competitive forums.
- E Stipend Position: Attend at least 21 tournament days at local, regional, and national contests to coach and judge on behalf of New Trier Speech and Debate.
- H Stipend Position: Attend at least 15 tournament days at local, regional, and national contests to coach and judge on behalf of New Trier Speech and Debate.
- All Coaches:
- Drive tournament vehicles or chaperone student transportation as assigned.
- Fulfill the judging requirements at tournaments for New Trier Speech and Debate as assigned.
- If students qualify for a national championship (defined as the Grand National Catholic Forensic League Tournament, National Speech and Debate Association National Tournament, and/or the Tournament of Champions) it is expected that the Tournament Coach will attend.