Early Learning Center Caregivers
Job Title: PREK Caregivers
Description: East Haven Public Schools is seeking a seasoned, energetic, and team oriented individual with a desire to positively impact our students, and the community.
Reports To: Building Administrator and Mid Management leader
Program Hours: 7am-6pm, Monday-Friday. Position up to 30 hours per week
Primary Role & Responsibilities:
The Caregiver works closely with teachers and non-teaching professionals to provide a wide range of support for students including:
- developing and locating resources
- setting up and operating equipment
- undertaking administrative/clerical duties
- supervising students
- acilitation of activities under the direction of a teacher
- High School diploma or equivalency.
- Successful candidates will be highly energetic, flexible, open to learning and able to follow written and verbal instructions accurately.
- Demonstrate knowledge of developmentally appropriate curriculum practices.
- Well organized and can work independently; Excellent computer and interpersonal and writing skills
- Maintain confidentiality about issues concerning other faculty members, children and families, or East Haven Family Resource Program management and operations. Do not involve parents in concerns of the program.
- Maintain professional dress code.
- Support organizational mission, philosophies, values, goals, and policies to parents, co-workers, and the community.
- Ensure continuity of care for children by reporting to work on time and maintaining consistent attendance, and arranging and communicating leave request in advance.
- Respect and adhere to staffing schedules that may be adjusted as program needs change.
- Attend staff meetings, training sessions, and other program events.
- Receive constructive criticism with an attitude that indicates a willingness to improve. Give feedback in a respectful manner.
Interaction between Faculty and Children/ Faculty and Parent:
- Interact frequently, affectionately, and respectfully by smiling and speaking to children in a friendly, calm, soft, courteous manner within close proximity of the child.
- Respect and observe children’s interests. Intervene when needed to maintain safety.
- Engage and communicate constructively with individual children during activities and routines. Take every opportunity to positively extend children’s thinking and actions.
- Be available and responsive to children’s needs, questions, and requests.
- Encourage and model social behavior and expectations that are developmentally appropriate.
- Acknowledge feelings with sensitivity and demonstrate appropriate expression of emotions.
- Communicate directly with each child at the child’s level.
- Practice positive discipline techniques in guiding children’s behavior.
- Be attentive, flexible, and supportive of children and their families during transitions to and from classrooms.
- Acknowledge parents and all classroom visitors.
- Demonstrate a friendly, courteous, and professional demeanor.
- Maintain and follow all safety and health rules of the program.
- Supervise children at all times. Demonstrate awareness of entire group while working with a small group or individuals
- Know the number of children in your group and maintain ratios at all times. Maintain accurate attendance records throughout the day.
- Complete appropriate paperwork (i.e. accident, medication, allergies).
- Encourage children to utilize appropriate health, safety, and nutritional practices.
- Keep environment and equipment safe, clean, and attractive. Encourage respect for classroom materials. Notify designated individual in advance when supplies are needed.
- Arrange space in clearly defined, well-organized activity areas. Organized a variety of materials on low, open shelves for children to use independently.
- Be able to lift 40 pounds
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility that is included in the Staff Handbook.
East Haven Public Schools Notice of Non-Discrimination
The East Haven Board of Education prohibits discrimination or harassment on the basis of race, color, religious creed, age, marital status, military or veteran’s status, national origin, ancestry, sexual orientation and past or present learning disability, physical disability or mental disorder. The East Haven Board of Education provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The East Haven Board of Education guarantees compliance under Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments Acts of 1973, section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, the American with Disabilities Act of 1991 and Connecticut General Statutes 46a-60. The following person has been designated to handle inquiries regarding the non-discrimination policies: Robert Swan, Director of Pupil Services 35 Wheelbarrow Lane, East Haven, CT 06512, 203-468-3218. For further information on non-discrimination, visit: http://www.hhs.gov/ocr/office/about/rgn-hqaddresses.html for the address and phone number of the office that serves your area, or call 1-800-421-3481.