Gifted Facilitator - Virtual/Remote
Educators of gifted students demonstrate a commitment to learning for all students by maintaining organized- child-centered classrooms- by presenting content-rich and standards-based lessons and activities- by meeting individual needs through the use of assessments and data- and by using a variety of instructional strategies that are reflective of current best practices and research.
The teacher prescribes and implements an educational program that enables gifted children to achieve their fullest potential. The teacher of gifted students is responsible for planning and implementing the goals of the Individual Education Plan (IEP).
- Must meet Kansas State Department of Education licensure requirements for Special Education.
- The candidate should have a background in programming for and educating gifted students and management of IEPs- collaborating with a wide variety of other educational specialists- and consulting with other educational staff.
- Good communication and consultation skills- team building- management knowledge of special education procedures and regulations are important.
- An advanced degree is preferred.
Physical/Emotional Requirements: The incumbent may be required to use the below requirements during any part of the working day.
While performing the duties of this job- the employee is frequently required to walk- sit- talk- and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision- distance vision- depth perception- and the ability to adjust focus.
- Manage budget items for the gifted department
- Remain as the ESU Liaison for teachers on waiver or finishing their degrees
- Mentor new facilitators weekly (and sometimes twice-weekly
- Assist with elementary facilitator evaluations
- Visit and collaboratewith gifted facilitators in their buildings to stay on top of IEPs/Progress Reports and issues in their buildings as time allows
- Act as Primary Service Provider for teachers on waiver (currently oversee 18 IEPs
- Write sample gifted IEPs for the transition years of 5th and 8th grade
- Review elementary (and possibly THS) gifted IEPs to reduce load on CTs
- Make final enrollment and transportationarrangements in August for 8th graders enrolling at high school for advanced classes
- Adjust transportation needs for same 8th graders when high school schedules vary from their normal schedules during finals and parent/teacher conferences
- Maintain gifted lending library of district and personal items
- Handle lunch and transportation snafus at Linn that need additional intervention
- Orchestrateattendance at fall state gifted conference (Request for Leave and registration forms- substitutes- transportation- etc.)
- Notify Director’s secretary of substitutes needed for Model United Nations and inservices
- Write proposals for My Learning Plan for gifted inservices
- Communicate with KSDE and district staff on gifted IEP requirements
- Supply lists of gifted characteristics to staff
- Monitor numbers on gifted ethnicity to report to the BOE
- Review other districts’ identification criteria and work with gifted identification team to revise ways to increase our minority gifted numbers
- Continue on District Acceleration Committee to make multiple year transitions
- Assistwith updates to the Gifted Review Team as needed
- Write proposals as a result of Gifted Review Team
- Organize summer work related to Gifted Review Team
- Complete SENG Parent training next year for parent group (Supporting Emotional Needs of the Gifted)
- Initiate Parent group meetings throughout the year
- Respond to emails/requests/phone calls from parents- staff- and administrators
- Read and stay currenton articles- curriculum- contests and enrichment opportunities relevant to bright students- and advocate in general for gifted needs.
Terms of Employment:
9 months; salary and work year to be determined by the Board of Education. REMOTE / HYBRID option available.
Performance of this position will be evaluated in accordance with provisions of the board policy on evaluation of professional staff.