Instructional Support Staff - Elementary Schools (2020-2021)
Job | Posted 3 months ago
Instructional Support Staff-Elementary (2020-2021)
Position Purpose :
To be available to substitute teach in a classroom setting. Provide classroom support in a learning environment.
Essential Performance Responsibilities:
- Follow instructional guide and class expectations outlined in teachers' lesson plans
- Implement effective lessons in the absence of the regular Instructor.
- Create and maintain a positive learning environment in the classroom
- Clean teaching area at the end of the day - put all equipment and materials away
- Maintain a positive learning environment and respond to the individual needs of the students.
- Ensure that district policies are observed during all activities.
- Create a safe classroom environment that is conducive to learning.
- Be familiar with fire exits, fire drill procedures, and safety procedures.
- Maintain confidentiality as defined by the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA).
- Demonstrate the ability to adapt to circumstances. Exhibit good judgment and use appropriate language or behavior while on assignment
- Remain on duty for the entire assignment, including planning time of the teacher.
Perform any other tasks that are assigned to the absent teacher on that day (bus duty, study hall, etc)
Other Job Functions:
- Abide by state statutes, school committee policies and regulations.
- Take all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials, and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Consistent and on-time attendance is required for supervision and instruction of the students.
Travel Requirements :
Substitutes for some teachers may have to travel between two schools on any given day.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to follow a lesson plan
- Ability to maintain a positive instructional atmosphere in the classroom
- Ability to organize and coordinate lessons as outlined by the teacher in a gymnasium or classroom setting
- Ability to communicate effectively with students and parents
- Ability to establish and maintain cooperative working relationships with others contacted in the course of work.
- Experience working with children and/or adolescents in activity settings is a plus
- Prefer a Bachelor's Degree from an accredited college or university; those with a major in Education encouraged to apply
All resumes will be screened and selected candidates will participate in an interview process
Please apply online: www.generalasp.com/needham/onlineapp
Applications will be considered only when a cover letter, resume, and one letter of recommendation have been attached to your online application.
The Needham Public Schools does not discriminate against students, parents, employees or the general public on the basis of race, color, sex, homeless status, gender identity, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, disability or age. In addition to the protected classes identified and in regard to employment practices, the Needham Public Schools also does not discriminate based on genetic information, ancestry or status as a veteran.
The Needham Public School System is a member of METCO, Developing Equity and Achievement for Students (IDEAS) and the Greater Boston School Human Resources Network. Candidates who have a strong commitment to active anti-racism are encouraged to apply.
Needham Public Schools
1330 Highland Ave., Needham, MA 02492
Compare with State
Amount per Student
State Average: $17,439
% ELL Students
State Average: 9%
Student Teacher Ratio
State Average: 13.39
% IEP Students
State Average: 17%
State Average: 296