ANTIOCH COMMUNITY CONSOLIDATED SCHOOL DISTRICT # 34
964 SPAFFORD STREET
ANTIOCH, IL 60002
Phone (847) 838-8401 (847) 838-8404
- Illinois Registered Nurse.
- Current CPR-AED certification for the Professional Rescuer.
- Illinois Certification as a Vision and Hearing Screening technician or ability to obtain.
- Good communication/interpersonal skills.
- Computer literacy, proficient in Microsoft Office and various software programs.
- Competency in the use of current medical technology.
- Demonstrates aptitude for successful fulfillment of assigned performance responsibilities.
- Prior professional nursing experience, preferably pediatric, adolescent, community or mental health nursing, and health program management.
REPORTS TO: Certified School Nurse, Building Administrator, Director of Student Services
OVERVIEW: Under the direction and delegation of a Certified School Nurse, this position follows the Antioch School District 34 calendar; the work day will be determined according to the nurse’s assignment. Duties include the provision of a school health program and delivery of services to students in order to enhance health and wellness in the school community. Nursing care performed in accordance with the standards of professional school nurse practice. District polices and procedures, and the Illinois Nurse Practice Act.
JOB GOALS: To assist in providing direct nursing services to students and staff members to maximize health and wellness in the school setting under the delegation of a Certified School Nurse. All duties are performed in accordance with the district/state board of education polices and procedures and the state law regarding nurse practice.
- Provide first aid, tend to illnesses, provide emergency care to students and staff in response to the nursing assessment, and communicate with appropriate individuals in accordance with the professional standards, school policy and procedures, and state and local mandates.
- Safely stores and administers medication with proper documentation, and follow-up as needed under the delegation of a Certified School Nurse / Registered Nurse.
- Assists in maintaining accurate medical records to assure compliance with the state mandates including immunizations, vision, dental/physical examinations, and medical conditions and record maintenance responsibilities.
- Performs mandated screening procedures for vision and hearing and follows up with any referrals.
- Serves as an Illinois Department of Children & Family Services Mandated Reporter.
- Maintains communication with teachers, other school personnel/district school nurses, and parent/guardians to collaborate to meet the health and safety of students.
- Provides health services, information, and education in an effective manner for the health and wellness of the school community under the delegation of a Certified School Nurse / Registered Nurse.
- Completes accident/incident reports for students.
- Compiles, enters, and reports data for state mandates/local agencies.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all district, school, and health related issues.
- Assists in acting as a liaison between the home, school, community health agencies, and the private medical sector to promote the health/wellness of the school community.
- Communicates with district personnel and other district nurses regarding any transfer of students.
- Maintains a daily log of student visits and documentation on individual health records for review by a Certified School Nurse / Registered Nurse.
- Maintains the health office facility and supplies.
- Utilizes existing technology effectively in the performance of duties.
- Assists in coordinating health related programs.
- Participates as a member of a multidisciplinary team with the planning of students requiring accommodations.
- Implements health plans, 504 plans and IEP planning for students who require special nursing interventions during the school day.
- Maintains contact with a professional nursing organization and utilizes continuing education opportunities to enhance professional knowledge.
- Participates as an active member of the district/school community, representing health/wellness.
- Assists in providing staff and school community in-service programs on health topics.
- Attends district nurse team meetings.
- Performs other health or school-related work as requested.
WORK ENVIRONMENT: The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of the job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The employee regularly is required to reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to sit, stand, and walk. The employee is occasionally required to stoop, kneel, reach forward and above the head. Specific vision abilities required by this job include: close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, and depth perception. The employee is regularly required to type and use a keyboard, and reach above shoulder and outward.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee regularly works in typical interior/office environmental conditions. The employee occasionally works evenings. The employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions. The noise level in the work environment ranges from quiet to moderately loud. The employee may be exposed to students with communicable medical conditions.
TERM OF EMPLOYMENT: Work calendar set by the Board of Education. Hourly wage and working conditions to be established by the Board of Education. Performance will be evaluated annually by the building Principal.