Maintenance Specialist - Extended Term Substitute
Position Title: Temporary Position - Maintenance Specialist, 6:00 AM – 2:30 PM, Monday thru Friday, Occasional evenings/weekends as needed.
Location: Hastings High School
Under the direction of the Director of Buildings & Maintenance, the Maintenance Specialist is responsible for performing a wide variety of semi-skilled preventive maintenance, troubleshooting and repair activities within the building(s) of a mechanical, electrical, HVAC, carpentry or plumbing nature to ensure building(s) are in proper running order and safe for students, staff and the public.
- High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Ability to perform the essential job functions
- Special Engineer Boiler License
- MN Driver’s License
1. Diagnoses, troubleshoots and makes repairs to all mechanical, plumbing, carpentry, HVAC, building automated systems, pool equipment or other equipment within the facilities of the district. Works with and under the Master Electrician when performing electrical repairs or maintenance activities. Collaborates and works with local and state officials to assure repairs and facilities comply with building codes, rules, regulations, and requirements.
a) Responds to work orders and troubleshoots maintenance repairs.
b) Repairs and/or performs preventive maintenance to air handling units, fans, motors, and/or pumps.
c) Plans carpentry projects and assembles needed supplies, parts or materials.
d) Installs and repairs existing plumbing equipment. Fixes water leaks or other plumbing services. Services or fixes drains, sinks, toilets and drinking fountains.
e) Performs boiler maintenance. Drains boilers, removes pipes, and other maintenance requirements. Meets with inspector performing inspection. Reassembles boiler and fills with water and chemicals after inspections.
2. Performs health and safety inspections in accordance with district procedures.
3. Operates and maintains building automated systems.
4. Collaborates with district building heads to provide advice and/or assist them with any building issues, as appropriate.
5. Checks out work order requests, plans priorities, and makes sure materials are on hand to complete work orders. Purchases needed supplies and materials to maintain inventory supplies and/or to implement work orders.
6. Performs other duties of a comparable level or type, as assigned by the Director of Buildings & Maintenance.
7. Snow removal (prior to student arrival on school days & extracurricular activities on the weekends)
Knowledge and Skills Required to Perform the Work and Essential Functions of the Position
- Fundamentals, practices, and techniques involved in the repair, installation, troubleshooting and maintenance in assigned areas of responsibility
- State and federal laws pertaining to areas of responsibility.
- Hand, power, and diagnostic tools applicable to trade.
- Safety precautions, safety equipment and risk management procedures pertaining to specific duties and responsibilities of the work.
- HVAC operation, repair and maintenance.
- Boiler water treatment, maintenance and chemicals required.
- Fundamentals of general repair and maintenance activities in such areas as mechanical, carpentry, electrical, steam, air system, plumbing systems, and associated equipment.
- Energy management automated systems and their applicable programming languages/commands.
- Establishing and maintaining effective working relationships with employees, supervisors, department heads, and building personnel.
- Monitoring and observing the work functions and activities of outside contractors and vendors, if necessary.
- Planning and implementing preventive maintenance programs and requirements of district mechanical, HVAC, plumbing systems or exterior facility repairs.
- Reading and interpreting blue prints and diagrams.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Operating and using hand and power tools and heavy equipment applicable to trade(s).
- Using and operating energy management systems, programs, tools and diagnostic equipment to test, repair, or replace equipment or malfunctions.
- Operating all equipment, machinery and systems necessary in performance of the job including boilers, pneumatic controls and all associated components.
- Ability to read, understand, and follow safety procedures.
- Performing fundamental troubleshooting, repairs and maintenance activities in the areas of carpentry, plumbing, mechanical and assistance with electrical activities.
Required Work Experience:
Minimum of 3 years of experience in performing semi-skilled facility maintenance repairs & service.
Rate of Pay:
Temporary Postion: Grade 9, Step 2: $22.05,
Position may last up to 65 days (November 3, 2020)