Position Status- Tier 1
Salary Range E
High School Diploma or equivalent
Food Handlers Health Card
Proof MMR and Hepatitis B Health Record
The job of Cafeteria Manager is done for the purpose/s of providing support to the educational process at an assigned location with specific responsibilities for organizing food preparation activities; overseeing and assisting cafeteria workers with food preparation and serving; confirming quantities and quality of food items are available for use; providing written reports; and complying with mandated health requirements.
This job reports to Director of Child Nutrition
- Cleans utensils, equipment, and the storage, food preparation and serving areas for the purpose of maintaining sanitary conditions.
- Estimates food preparation amounts and adjusts recipes, if required, for the purpose of meeting projected meal requirements and minimizing waste of food items.
- Evaluates prepared food for flavor, appearance and temperature for the purpose of presenting items that will be accepted by students and/or staff.
- Implements menu plans for school meals and/or catered events for the purpose of meeting students' mandated daily nutritional requirements and/or event requests.
- Inspects food and/or supply deliveries for the purpose of verifying quantity, quality and specifications of orders and/or complying with mandated health requirements.
- Inventories food, condiments, supplies and equipment at specified intervals for the purpose of ensuring availability of items required for meeting projected menu requirements.
- Maintains equipment, storage, food preparation and serving areas in a sanitary condition for the purpose of complying with current health standards.
- Manages assigned site operations (e.g. supervise personnel, monitor meals, evaluate new products and/or menus, etc.) for the purpose of providing efficient food services at the assigned site in compliance with established nutritional and health requirements.
- Orders food, equipment and supplies for the purpose of maintaining an adequate inventory to maintain operations within established nutritional and budget guidelines.
- Oversees the preparation, cooking, serving and transportation of food and beverage items for the purpose of meeting projected meal quantities and mandated nutritional and health standards and ensuring appealing presentation.
- Participates in unit meetings, in-service training, workshops, etc. for the purpose of conveying and/or gathering information required to perform job functions.
- Performs functions of other nutritional services positions, as needed for the purpose of ensuring adequate staff coverage within site nutritional services operations.
- Prepares a variety of documentation (e.g. production sheets, reconciliation reports, cash summary, time sheets, work orders, etc.) for the purpose of providing written support and/or conveying information.
- Processes receipts for the purpose of completing and documenting transactions and/or preparing bank deposits.
- Processes free and reduced meal applications for the purpose of determining eligibility under program guidelines.
- Reconciles transactions (e.g. meal counts, monies collected, etc.) for the purpose of maintaining account balances in compliance with established policies and procedures.
- Responds to inquires of students, staff and the public for the purpose of providing information and/or direction regarding available food items and/or food service policies and practices.
- Schedules work hours and assignments for cafeteria employees for the purpose of ensuring adequate coverage for daily operations.
- Serves one or more items of food for the purpose of meeting mandated nutritional requirements and/or requests of students and school personnel.
- Stocks food, condiments and supplies for the purpose of maintaining adequate quantities and security of items.
- Supervises food service workers and other personnel as assigned (e.g. orients, trains, evaluates, etc.) for the purpose of maximizing the efficiency of the work force and meeting shift requirements.
- Performs other related duties as assigned for the purpose of ensuring the efficient and effective functioning of the work unit.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
SKILLS are required to perform multiple, technical tasks with a potential need to upgrade skills in order to meet changing job conditions. Specific skill based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: adhering to safety practices; planning and managing projects; preparing and maintaining accurate records; operating standard office equipment and equipment found in a commercial kitchen; and using pertinent software applications.
KNOWLEDGE is required to perform basic math, including calculations using fractions, percents, and/or ratios; read technical information, compose a variety of documents, and/or facilitate group discussions; and analyze situations to define issues and draw conclusions. Specific knowledge based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: safety practices and procedures; quantify food preparation and handling; and sanitation practices.
ABILITY is required to schedule activities, meetings, and/or events; gather, collate, and/or classify data; and consider a number of factors when using equipment. Flexibility is required to work with others in a wide variety of circumstances; work with data utilizing defined but different processes; and operate equipment using a variety of standardized methods. Ability is also required to work with a diversity of individuals and/or groups; work with a variety of data; and utilize a variety of job-related equipment. Problem solving is required to analyze issues and create action plans. Problem solving with data requires independent interpretation of guidelines; and problem solving with equipment is moderate. Specific ability based competencies required to satisfactorily perform the functions of the job include: communicating with diverse groups; setting priorities; working as part of a team; working with interruptions; and working with detailed information/data.
Responsibilities include: working under limited supervision following standardized practices and/or methods; directing other persons within a small work unit; operating within a defined budget. utilization of some resources from other work units is often required to perform the job's functions. There is a continual opportunity to significantly impact the organization’s services.
The usual and customary methods of performing the job's functions require the following physical demands: significant lifting, carrying, pushing, and/or pulling, significant stooping, kneeling, crouching, and/or crawling and significant fine finger dexterity. Generally the job requires 10% sitting, 50% walking, and 40% standing. The job is performed under temperature extremes and under conditions with exposure to risk of injury and/or illness.
Experience Job related experience with increasing levels of responsibility is desired.
Education Targeted, job related education with study in job-related area.
|Food Handlers Health Card
|Food Handlers Health Card
Safe School Courses
|Criminal Justice Fingerprint/Background Clearance
Non Exempt E (14.00)