7-12th Grade Math/Science Teacher
High School Math/Science Teacher (Grades 7-12)
Under the general supervision of the Jr. High/High School Principal, to develop students' skills and competence in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics: develops students skills and abilities in scientific methods and problem-solving, as well as understanding of the application of science in the solution of practical problems. To develop students' skills and competence in basic and complex mathematical principles, equations, formulas and calculations, as well as an understanding of the application of mathematics in the solution of practical problems.
Essential Performance Responsibilities
- Teaches knowledge and skills in one or more fields of science, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, and physics, in accordance with district curriculum.
- Teaches knowledge and skills in mathematics, including concepts such as real an imaginary numbers, formulas, calculations and geometry, and promotes creative thinking and analysis in all related subject areas.
- Promotes a classroom environment that is safe and conductive to individualized and small group instruction, and student learning.
- Develops lesson plans and instructional materials for subject area, and translates lesson plans into learning experiences to develop pertinent sequential assignments, challenge students, and best utilize the available time for instruction.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of science to everyday existence, including scientific research projects, demonstrations, experiments, and laboratory activities.
- Designs learning activities to demonstrate the application of mathematics to everyday existence and problem-solving.
- Conducts ongoing assessment of student learning and progress, and modifies instructional methods to fit individual student's needs, including students with special needs; conducts individual and small group instruction as needed.
- Instructs students in the proper use and care of scientific equipment, chemicals, and plant and animal life.
- Maintains familiarity with district and Colorado State standardized tests for the purpose of adapting curriculum to maximize student achievement on such tests.
- Continues to acquire professional knowledge and learn of current developments in the educational field by attending seminars, workshops or professional meetings, or by conducting research.
- Organizes and maintains a system for accurate and complete record-keeping, grading, and reporting for all student activities, achievement and attendance as required by district procedures and applicable laws.
Performs other related tasks as assigned by the Principal and other cental office administrators as designated by the Superintendent.
Note: The above description is illustrative of tasks and responsibilities. It is not meant to be all inclusive of every task or responsibility.
Uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printer, copy and fax machines, and telephone.
Travels to professional meetings as required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of current teaching methods and educational pedagogy, as well as differentiated instruction based upon student learning styles.
- Knowledge of a wide range of science subject areas, including general science, earth science, biology, physiology, chemistry, physics, and other related areas (e.g., mathematics).
- Knowledge of a wide range mathematic subject areas, including arithmetic equations, calculus, trigonometry, geometry, and other related areas.
- Knowledge of data information systems, data analysis and the formulation of action plans.
- Knowledge of applicable federal and state laws regarding education and students.
- Ability to use computer network system and software applications as needed.
- Ability to organize and coordinate work.
- Works in standard office and school building environments.
- State of Colorado Certification as a Science/Math Teacher or as required for position.
- Motor Vehicle Operator's License of ability to provide own transportation.
- Bachelors from an accredited college or university in education discipline applicable to teaching assignment.
- Masters Degree preferred.
- Successful prior teaching experience for the appropriate grade level preferred.
- Salary Schedule available at http://core-docs.s3.amazonaws.com/documents/asset/uploaded_file/204432/FY19_PV_Tchr_166_Days.pdf