Middle School Teacher - Science
Dorchester School District Four Position Description
Position Title: Teacher
Reports To: Principal
Contract Days: 190
Responsible for planning instruction and/or adaptation of the education program to enable students to benefit from educational experiences.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Meets and instructs assigned classes in the locations and at the times designated.
- Plans a program of study that, as much as possible, meets the individual needs, interests and abilities of the students.
- Creates a classroom environment that is conducive to learning and appropriate to the maturity and interests of the students.
- Prepares for classes assigned and show written evidence of preparation upon request of immediate supervisor.
- Encourages students to set and maintain standards of classroom behavior.
- Guides the learning process toward the achievement of curriculum goals and --in harmony with the goals--establishes clear objectives for all lessons, units, projects and the ability to communicate these objectives to students.
- Employs a variety of instructional techniques and instructional media, consistent with the physical limitations of the location provided and the needs and capabilities of the individuals or student groups involved.
- Strives to implement by instruction and action the district's philosophy of education and instructional goals and objectives.
- Assesses the accomplishments of students on a regular basis, seeking the assistance of district specialists as required.
- Takes all necessary and reasonable precautions to protect students, equipment, materials and facilities.
- Maintains accurate, complete, and correct records as required by law, district policy and administrative regulation.
- Assists the administration in implementing all policies and rules governing student life and conduct, and for the classroom, develops reasonable rules of classroom behavior and procedure, maintains order in the classroom in a fair and just manner.
- Makes provision for being available to students and parents for education-related purposes outside the instructional day when required or requested to do so under reasonable terms.
- Plans and supervises purposeful assignments for teacher aide(s) and volunteer(s) and, cooperatively with department heads, evaluates their job performance.
- Strives to maintain and improve professional competence.
- Attends staff meetings and serves on staff committees as required.
- Maintains regular communication with parents.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Supervises classroom, students, and teacher assistants (if assigned).
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s Degree
- Valid South Carolina Teaching Certificate in the area of employment.
- Such alternatives to the above as the Board may find appropriate and acceptable.