Special Education Paraprofessional
Posted 3 months ago
Position Title: Special Education Paraprofessional
- High School diploma
- Sixty (60) credit hours , an Associate’s degree or a minimum score of 460 on the ParaPro Assessment
- Experience working in an educational setting, preferred
Paraprofessional to assist student(s) with special needs including, but not limited to: assisting the student throughout the day with physical needs, including hygiene (change diaper and catheter), mobility and classroom support needs.
- Assist, support and work with classroom teacher and/or special education case manager to provide individual students and/or groups of students with educational benefits.
- May be assigned to any classroom, as 1:1 para-educator, or assist with multiple students, or as a classroom aide.
- Assist students individually with academics, behavior modifications and self-care needs as prescribed and supervised by the special education case manager.
- Demonstrate knowledge, skills and abilities to assist student growth.
- Maintain confidentiality of student and school information.
- Comply with and support school policies and procedures.
- Help to facilitate positive student behavior and social interaction skills.
- Record student data as stipulated by the special education case manager and/or classroom teacher.
- The paraprofessional’s schedule shall coincide with the student schedule, or as determined by the supervisor.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
The employee for this position is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
TERMS OF EMPLOYMENT
10-month school year
Open Until Filled
HOW TO APPLY
Apply online at: westwoodschools.net and choose “Job Opportunities”
Physical/Mental Demands and Work Hazards:
The employee is regularly required to talk and hear. This position is very active and requires standing, walking, bending, kneeling, stooping, crouching, crawling, and climbing all day. The employee must frequently lift and/or move items over 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus. Must be able to respond rapidly in emergency situations.
The Board of Education does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, (including sexual orientation and transgender identity) disability, age, religion, height, weight, marital or family status, military status, ancestry, genetic information or any other legally protected category, (collectively, “protected Classes”), in its programs and activities, including employment opportunities.
Physical Demands: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions:
- The employee must occasionally lift and move up to 25 pounds in supplies, which requires bending, stooping and lifting.
- The employee must be able to use a variety of instructional materials in the classroom.
- The employee must use hands and arms to manipulate objects.
- The employee must use keyboards, tools and other controls.
- The employee must sit and stand for long periods of time.
- The employee must have normal visional and hearing with or without aid.
- The employee must be able to move about assigned location unaided during the day.
Work Environment:The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job:
- The noise level in the work environment will vary and can range from soft to loud. Often the noise level in the work environment will be moderate to loud.
- The employee is required to interact with students, staff, parents/guardians and occasionally with the public.